Default Anyone know this fuel filter?

Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

I can't squirm in far enough to find a model number and didn't see anything
that looke like it in the marine store. Considering some of the weird stuff
I've found on the boat, I don't want to assume that the Racor elements in
the spare parts are for it.

I also want to be sure it isn't the one referred to in another thread that
passes unfiltered fuel if a spacer is left out. If that could be done, the
PO of my boat would have done it.

--
Roger Long

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:50:08 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

I can't squirm in far enough to find a model number and didn't see anything
that looke like it in the marine store. Considering some of the weird stuff
I've found on the boat, I don't want to assume that the Racor elements in
the spare parts are for it.

I also want to be sure it isn't the one referred to in another thread that
passes unfiltered fuel if a spacer is left out. If that could be done, the
PO of my boat would have done it.

It's a small Racor, probably a 110, definitely not a 500 or 900. Those
are larger and have a "T" handle on top.

http://tinyurl.com/2ucdje

I just went down to the money black hole to see about adding a second filter
to go in parallel and neither store in town has one like this. All small
primary filters now seem to be the spin on type as opposed to this one that
you drop a paper element into.

Would this be a good time to switch to a spin-on filter? It looks looks
like it would be a lot easier to get at the sediment bowl to clean it out in
event of major fuel contamination. I can barely reach my filter so making
filter changes as easy as possible is important, one reason I'm thinking of
a second filter I can switch over to.

--
Roger Long

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:00:44 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I just went down to the money black hole to see about adding a second filter
to go in parallel and neither store in town has one like this. All small
primary filters now seem to be the spin on type as opposed to this one that
you drop a paper element into.

Would this be a good time to switch to a spin-on filter? It looks looks
like it would be a lot easier to get at the sediment bowl to clean it out in
event of major fuel contamination. I can barely reach my filter so making
filter changes as easy as possible is important, one reason I'm thinking of
a second filter I can switch over to.

Roger I've been anchored for a few days in places with no internet
service but it looks like you've gotten most of the information you
need. Parallel, hot switchable filters are nice to have if you are
making long passages under power, if your system is difficult to prime
and bleed, or if you have a history of tank gunk and filter clogging.
Sounds like you've got that covered however. The people who most need
elaborate filtration gear are we trawler folks who have large fuel
tanks holding many hundreds of gallons. When the boat sits idle for
any period of time the tanks become a breeding ground for biology
experiments.

wrote:

[...]

One thing I did add to my sailboat fuel system is a water trap. All
the diesel pickups here in Thailand have them fitted as original
equipment. They are a plastic spin on filter shaped devise with a
float in it.They have a petcock and priming pump for draining out the
water. The float won't float in diesel and will float in water. They
have an electrical connection that can be connected to a warning horn
so when you get, say, a couple of tablespoons of water in the water
trap the horn blows. Put it on the tank side of your primary filter.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce" wrote

One thing I did add to my sailboat fuel system is a water trap.

I suspect that device is vital in your climate and fuel supply chain. After
two years of paying no attention to fuel or filters, I found not a drop of
water in the sediment bowl of my water separating filter.

I think Wayne is right, for my small diesel, operating in New England, I'm
covered. I'll probably add a parallel filter when I start going to
Newfoundland because that trip will involve a lot of motoring close along
the cliffs to take pictures.

I learned that the PO was running 2 micron filters in the primary and I'm
going to continue that. I can see changing the primary underway in
emergency conditons but I would not want to tackle the secondary in my
installation. The primary is rated for 15 GPH and my engine needs less than
1 so it would take a lot of filter degradation to shut me down. My primary
was loaded black and the secondary looked like it was put in yesterday when
I opened the system up.

I've never seen anything like that water trap here. Has anyone else?

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

I can't squirm in far enough to find a model number and didn't see
anything that looke like it in the marine store. Considering some of the
weird stuff I've found on the boat, I don't want to assume that the Racor
elements in the spare parts are for it.

I also want to be sure it isn't the one referred to in another thread that
passes unfiltered fuel if a spacer is left out. If that could be done,
the PO of my boat would have done it.

I have one just like it on Fundy. It is a Racor and uses the 2000 series
filters. I normally use the the 2 micron (brown) filters in mine. I don't
think they market it any more, but the replaceable elements are still
available.

Leanne

How easy is filter replacement? (See my reply to Wayne)

Can the sediment bowl be removed with very difficult top access?

Anything else I should know about it?

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
How easy is filter replacement? (See my reply to Wayne)

Can the sediment bowl be removed with very difficult top access?

Anything else I should know about it?

The filter element is easy to change as you release the band at the top and
the cover pops off.
Change the two O rings and set the filter on the stub on the top. There is a
drain at the bottom
of the bowl, but to actually clean the owl, it has to be removed from the
mounting bracket and
undo the four screws and it comes off. I did that when we first go the boat.
At filter change
times, I drain the bowl into a plastic jug. I have added an electric fuel
pump to bleed the system
after filter changes. It is not normally used except for this, but is there
in case the engine
mounted mechanical pump fails.

Leanne

Thanks, I'd already done it by the time I got your reply. It was just as
you describe but I did learn one little thing on my own. The large O ring
pops out very easily. I just happened to see it out of the corner of my eye
in the bilge as I put the cover on. How many hours do you thing I would
have been bleeding and cursing if I hadn't noticed that?

I'm a believer in 2 micron elements for the primary now, at least for this
little engine that doesn't have much fuel flow. The secondary filter looked
like it had been put in yesterday. I could probably change the Racor
primary and get the engine running again without bleeding the whole fuel
system but no way with the secondary. The secondary is also much harder to
change on my installation.

The doorbell hotwire I installed for the electric fuel pump works like a
charm. I was able to bleed the system in about a third the time it took the
boatyard.

--
Roger

Need picture of fuel jet and fuel filter location [email protected] General 0 July 18th 07 01:45 AM
Cant get fuel pump to prime after changing fuel filter AL General 7 July 12th 06 07:58 PM
Fuel Filter Joe General 7 May 18th 06 01:51 PM
Fuel Filter ajw Boat Building 21 February 26th 06 02:44 PM
Oil filter vs fuel filter? Gfretwell General 20 November 13th 03 02:40 PM