Default Anyone know this fuel filter?

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

I can't squirm in far enough to find a model number and didn't see anything
that looke like it in the marine store. Considering some of the weird stuff
I've found on the boat, I don't want to assume that the Racor elements in
the spare parts are for it.

I also want to be sure it isn't the one referred to in another thread that
passes unfiltered fuel if a spacer is left out. If that could be done, the
PO of my boat would have done it.

It's an obsolete Racor. Filters can be had a NAPA.

I have just replaced that Racor with a new one.

--
Molesworth

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:05:59 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

It's an obsolete Racor. Filters can be had a NAPA.

Obsolete? No, not at all. The Racor 200F is *discontinued* but not
obsolete. I prefer this style because I can remove and inspect the
filter element unlike the spin on types. I use an old dental pick and
small pieces of lint free cotton cloth to clean the inside of the bowl
when required.

Filters (elements) are available in 2 and 10 microns from several
sources at $11.00 to $14.00 (CAD)

here is my 200f set up:

http://members.shaw.ca/albin82ms/mechanical.html

it was relatively inexpensive to build mainly becuase I was able to
pick up two *NEW* 200f's via e-bay. My boat came with one Racor 200f
that worked just fine... I just wanted a 3 filter system and saw no
need to discard a perfectly good filter system. Instead I added on to
it. I will be adding a vacuum guage to complete the system.

regards

JBT

Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 20, 9:50 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
Does anyone recognize this fuel filter?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Filter.jpg

I can't squirm in far enough to find a model number and didn't see anything
that looke like it in the marine store. Considering some of the weird stuff
I've found on the boat, I don't want to assume that the Racor elements in
the spare parts are for it.

I also want to be sure it isn't the one referred to in another thread that
passes unfiltered fuel if a spacer is left out. If that could be done, the
PO of my boat would have done it.

--
Roger Long

Greetings Roger;

That's a Racor fuel filter housing not a filter, but I know what you
are asking.

Racor made a dozen different sizes rated by flow.
Bigger is not better, as the water seperator needs a tuned stream of
fuel to properly work. I have a housing that looks exactly as your and
it's a Racor 2000. You need to pull the filter out of the housing to
know the exact type, and color. The end cap Color of the filter
denotes filtration on Racors. Brown is 2 MIC, Blue is 10 MIC, Red is
30 MIC. With a small engine I would assume is on your boat dual set-
up's is not worth the hassle, just put a vaccume gauge between the
filter housing and the fuel pump. As far as alge goes if you are
having a problem get a pre- filter strainer with removeable SS mesh
type filter...saves on the cost of Racors. Also... you do not need a
seperate water trap with that racor system, just wasting money. If you
need to scrub the walls of the water trap remove the valve on bottom
and you have a nice size hole to use a bit of wire with a rag twisted
on the end, but it's easy enough to remove the bowl and do it right if
you had the room. Racor's the best F@*k the rest.

Joe

Interesting point about the proper flow to make the water separator work. I
wonder if this on is in the proper range at about 1 gallon per hour.

--
Roger Long

Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 28, 3:00 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
Interesting point about the proper flow to make the water separator work. I
wonder if this on is in the proper range at about 1 gallon per hour.

--
Roger Long

Is it original with the boat ?
If so it was most likely properly sized by the engine mfg and builder
I'd suspect.
Is it trapping any water?

Joe

I don't think it's original and I've never seen any water. What I need is
to find instructions or specs for one of these filters. I tried Google but,
no luck.

--
Roger Long

Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 28, 4:55 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
I don't think it's original and I've never seen any water. What I need is
to find instructions or specs for one of these filters. I tried Google but,
no luck.

--
Roger Long

Bought by parker, but I would imagine they have old flow charts
around, drop a dime.

Racor
3400 Finch Road
Modesto, CA 95354

Telephone: 209-521-7860
Fax: 209-575-7614
e-Mail:

On 2007-07-28 16:00:57 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

Interesting point about the proper flow to make the water separator
work. I wonder if this on is in the proper range at about 1 gallon per
hour.

Our yard put in the 500 for our similar engine. Remember that you
probably have more fuel flowing than what you're burning, most of it
circulating back to the tank.

If we didn't have that circulation, we'd *really* have a critter
problem, as we burn only about a third of a gallon per hour, about 10
gallons a year.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

An interesting thing about the Yanmar 2QM series is that there is no return
line back to the tank. Evidently, the injector bypass just circulates back
as far as the injector pump on the engine. It is an unusually cool running
engine for a diesel so maybe that helps avoid the fuel getting too hot.
Flow through the filter is whatever fuel consumption is.
Just out of curiosity, I'm going to look at recommended flow rates on some
separator filters but I'll be surprised if any
go as low as 1 gph. It's appears to be a centrifugal process judging by the
spiral grooves I see on some of the filter housings so it must take a
reasonable flow. Just out of curiosity, I'm going to look at recommended
flow rates on some separator filters but I'll be surprised if any go that
low.

Chris had a good point, now that I'm putting an emulsifier
(StarTron/Soltron) in the fuel, The water isn't going to separate out
anyway.

--
Roger Long

Need picture of fuel jet and fuel filter location [email protected] General 0 July 18th 07 01:45 AM
Cant get fuel pump to prime after changing fuel filter AL General 7 July 12th 06 07:58 PM
Fuel Filter Joe General 7 May 18th 06 01:51 PM
Fuel Filter ajw Boat Building 21 February 26th 06 02:44 PM
Oil filter vs fuel filter? Gfretwell General 20 November 13th 03 02:40 PM