posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Perforated Stainless Steel Strap

I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

-- Geoff

Geoff Schultz writes:

I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping.

I've hammered flat and drilled scraps of thin-wall tubing to improvise this
sort of thing. Ugly but effective.

In article , Geoff Schultz wrote:
I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

You might check with a plumbing supply house -- I've got to think *somebody*
makes SS pipe strap.

--
Regards,

In rec.boats.cruising Doug Miller wrote:
:In article , Geoff Schultz wrote:
:I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
:soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
:for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
:haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

:You might check with a plumbing supply house -- I've got to think *somebody*
:makes SS pipe strap.

McMaster sells 302 stainless strapping. It's not perforated, though.
Page 1492 of the online catalog.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Geoff Schultz wrote:

I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

-- Geoff

IF its stainless have your wallet filled up.

John

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Geoff Schultz writes:

I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping.

I've hammered flat and drilled scraps of thin-wall tubing to improvise this
sort of thing. Ugly but effective.

"Wrap lok"sp comes in ss although it is not perforated. I believe it is
not too $$ for stainless.

Chuck P.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Geoff,

Can't help with the SS, but plumbers tape does come in copper, and in
galvanized. Also comes in various gauges of material.

And of course gear-clamps (hose clamps?) come in SS and FULL
stainless.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:40:09 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

-- Geoff

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured using
soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well. I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping. My on-line searches
haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a source?

Two products come quickly to mind.
1) SS Band-it strap. Make your own holes. (good excuse to buy a Whitney punch)
You will probably have to buy a whole roll, but it will last you a lifetime!
Available at commercial hardwares and (naturally) on the Internet. If you go
ahead and buy the tool and some buckles, you will find many uses around a boat.
Band-it tools & supplies are (or were) common in Navy damage control kits.

2) SS tie wraps made for the communications industry.
http://www.sscableties.com/

Vaughn

-- Geoff

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

There are kits of 1/2" wide stainless steel 'hose' straps that are 20'
or so in length. So it doesn't have round holes - slotted holes are
perforated.

I bought mine from MSCdirect.com

Another is to plasma cut a bunch of holes then the strip.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Geoff Schultz writes:

I'm looking
for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping.

I've hammered flat and drilled scraps of thin-wall tubing to improvise this
sort of thing. Ugly but effective.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

I have some exhaust hose/components on my boat which were secured
using soft steel strapping. Obviously that hasn't held up too well.
I'm looking for 1/2" or 3/4" perforated stainless steel strapping.
My on-line searches haven't found anything. Does anyone know of a
source?

-- Geoff

IF its stainless have your wallet filled up.

John

I've found unperforated SS strapping at reasonable prices, but I was hoping
to find perforated. I suppose that I could use unperforated.

-- Geoff