Ken Heaton

Default Canadian East Coast no dumping regulations, Was:Peggy What is the name of your book?

Hi Don (and anyone else that interested), in case you haven't heard, we may
see some changes to that here soon in the Bras d'Or Lakes. I quote from a
web site (link included below):

"Canada Shipping Act Designation

Improving the water quality in the Bras d'Or Lake is a population health
issue that is being addressed by a number of people and organizations
through different projects and initiatives.

One of these initiatives is a proposal that the Bras d'Or Lake be designated
a non-discharge zone for boating sewage. This means that the dumping of
sewage from boats could be prohibited possible as early as the fall of
2004 - if the application is approved."

For further information: http://pitupaq.ca/designation/

"Don White" wrote in message
I guess we're a bit behind you in our regulations.
I sail in Nova Scotia waters. My homeport is Halifax.

Peggie Hall wrote in message

There are no coastal (or inland) waters in the whole US--east coast,
west coast, or Gulf--in which it's legal to discharge raw untreated
toilet waste directly overboard or dump a tank. So unless you're only
using the the head when you're out to sea at least 3 miles from the
nearest point on the whole US coastline, or it's going through CG
certified Type I MSD (device that treats waste before discharging it
overboard) first, you're discharging it overboard illegally.

Don White

Oh Oh!
I saw a table set up at the Halifax Boat Show a couple of years ago that
indicated you were headed that way.
I can honestly say I have never seen sewage pumped from a boat. I wouldn't
know where to find a pumpout station in this area. The Mirage I sailed on
had the Y valve, but the hose to the holding tank was cutoff and the tank
sealed.
Funny...I always smelled something odd down below and when looking at
slightly translucent holding tank could see
it was about 1/8 filled. I wonder if fumes leaked out on occasion?

"Don White" wrote in message
I guess we're a bit behind you in our regulations.
I sail in Nova Scotia waters. My homeport is Halifax.

Peggie Hall wrote in message

There are no coastal (or inland) waters in the whole US--east coast,
west coast, or Gulf--in which it's legal to discharge raw untreated
toilet waste directly overboard or dump a tank. So unless you're only
using the the head when you're out to sea at least 3 miles from the
nearest point on the whole US coastline, or it's going through CG
certified Type I MSD (device that treats waste before discharging it
overboard) first, you're discharging it overboard illegally.

Ken Heaton

The boat I sail on has a pitiful little 12 gallon Jabsco holding tank that
came with the boat (1973). It isn't connected, the hose from the toilet
goes straight to the thru hull. The general consensus around here is that
there aren't enough pumping stations on the lakes. There are pumpouts at
Baddeck, Iona/Grand Narrows & St. Peters. It won't be a problem for our
Great Lakes visitors and for most American visitors, but it's certainly
going to be a problem for our east coast Canadian visitors.

Ken Heaton wrote in message
Hi Don (and anyone else that interested), in case you haven't heard, we

may
see some changes to that here soon in the Bras d'Or Lakes. I quote from

web site (link included below):

"Canada Shipping Act Designation

Improving the water quality in the Bras d'Or Lake is a population health
issue that is being addressed by a number of people and organizations
through different projects and initiatives.

One of these initiatives is a proposal that the Bras d'Or Lake be

designated
a non-discharge zone for boating sewage. This means that the dumping of
sewage from boats could be prohibited possible as early as the fall of
2004 - if the application is approved."

For further information: http://pitupaq.ca/designation/

Rick

Default Peggy What is the name of your book?

Peggie Hall wrote:

There are no coastal (or inland) waters in the whole US--east coast,
west coast, or Gulf--in which it's legal to discharge raw untreated
toilet waste directly overboard or dump a tank.

Wanna bet?

Rick

Peggie Hall

Rick wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

There are no coastal (or inland) waters in the whole US--east coast,
west coast, or Gulf--in which it's legal to discharge raw untreated
toilet waste directly overboard or dump a tank.

Wanna bet?

Yes....any amount you want to name--and would actually pay off.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:33:37 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

I would love to, but it's a bit late to plan for this coming January.
Maybe in '05. Are there seminars at the Toronto show?

Peggie

There's presentations and booths...seemingly hundreds of booths. Check
out the folks behind this website

http://www.discoverboating.com/boats...,0,65,0&bhqs=1

and they will no doubt get you (or your publisher!) exhibitors'
information.

Conversely, contact Nautical Mind. They have been known to sponsor
authors giving speeches/seminars at local yacht clubs and so on.
Toronto's got five million people in it and a very large lake that's
one big no-discharge zone. Personally, 90% of the stuff I see is Groco
or Jabsco with a few Par models. I would love to hear about a wider
range of heads, hose options, holding tank options and so on.

I find most marine heads in Lake Ontario boats to be cheaply built and
a little suspect. Given that the Great Lakes range from "pump-outs
most places" to "you are completely on your own" (i.e. the Upper Great
Lakes), I would suspect a lot of Canadians would like to hear your
thoughts on plumbing under sail.

R.

Heh...Bubba's Book Sales Stalled CB General 16 July 27th 04 03:58 PM
Interesting book Gould 0738 General 4 November 6th 03 06:30 PM
Homer Hickam's latest book Lone Eagle General 0 September 29th 03 04:02 PM
Smelly raw-water spigot (Peggy, help!) Lloyd Sumpter General 12 September 17th 03 11:40 PM
Helpful new boating book Gould 0738 General 0 August 27th 03 05:39 PM