Paul Nightingale

Default Peggy What is the name of your book?

And is it available in Canada?

Peggie Hall

It's called "Get Rid of Boat Odors--A Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems
and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor." The publisher is Seaworthy
Publications (my sig includes a link to it on their site).

And is it available in Canada?

I don't know if it's on the shelf anywhere in Canada yet, but Amazon has
it. You can also buy it directly from my publisher...or, if you'd like a
signed copy, from the online store on the sailboatowners.com site (they
sell it, I sign and mail it for them) at
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Thanks for asking!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:22:36 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

And is it available in Canada?

I don't know if it's on the shelf anywhere in Canada yet, but Amazon has
it. You can also buy it directly from my publisher...or, if you'd like a
signed copy, from the online store on the sailboatowners.com site (they
sell it, I sign and mail it for them) at
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Yes, Peggie, it's available here in Toronto and likely elsewhere. A
new liveaboard friend of mine bought it last month and recommends it
highly.

It's posted at http://www.nauticalmind.com , a very good Toronto
bookshop. If I review it for our club newsletter, I will forward you
the review.

You should consider appearing at the Toronto International Boat Show
this January. It's a vast event and you'll soon learn how many fans
you have on Lake Ontario, where we endeavour to keep the black out of
the blue. 'Cause we drink it, eventually. G

R.
Peggie Hall

wrote:

Yes, Peggie, it's available here in Toronto and likely elsewhere. A
new liveaboard friend of mine bought it last month and recommends it
highly.

That's nice to hear!

It's posted at
http://www.nauticalmind.com , a very good Toronto
bookshop. If I review it for our club newsletter, I will forward you
the review.

Thank you!

You should consider appearing at the Toronto International Boat Show
this January. It's a vast event and you'll soon learn how many fans
you have on Lake Ontario, where we endeavour to keep the black out of
the blue. 'Cause we drink it, eventually. G

I would love to, but it's a bit late to plan for this coming January.
Maybe in '05. Are there seminars at the Toronto show?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Don White

Peggy...here on the east coast, we discharge the heads through the hull.
If I bought a modest sized sailboat inland that might have a chemical toilet
with a pumpout fitting on the deck...
how hard would it be to convert to a thru hull discharge?
Would I have to tear the old head out and buy a new one?

Peggie Hall

Don White wrote:
Peggy...here on the east coast, we discharge the heads through the hull.

There are no coastal (or inland) waters in the whole US--east coast,
west coast, or Gulf--in which it's legal to discharge raw untreated
toilet waste directly overboard or dump a tank. So unless you're only
using the the head when you're out to sea at least 3 miles from the
nearest point on the whole US coastline, or it's going through CG
certified Type I MSD (device that treats waste before discharging it
overboard) first, you're discharging it overboard illegally.

If I bought a modest sized sailboat inland that might have a chemical toilet
with a pumpout fitting on the deck...
how hard would it be to convert to a thru hull discharge?

You'd only have to install a y-valve in the pumpout hose, and a line
coming off it that goes to the through-hull, with a macerator pump
inline to empty the tank.

Would I have to tear the old head out and buy a new one?

Nope.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:33:37 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

I would love to, but it's a bit late to plan for this coming January.
Maybe in '05. Are there seminars at the Toronto show?

Peggie

There's presentations and booths...seemingly hundreds of booths. Check
out the folks behind this website

http://www.discoverboating.com/boats...,0,65,0&bhqs=1

and they will no doubt get you (or your publisher!) exhibitors'
information.

Conversely, contact Nautical Mind. They have been known to sponsor
authors giving speeches/seminars at local yacht clubs and so on.
Toronto's got five million people in it and a very large lake that's
one big no-discharge zone. Personally, 90% of the stuff I see is Groco
or Jabsco with a few Par models. I would love to hear about a wider
range of heads, hose options, holding tank options and so on.

I find most marine heads in Lake Ontario boats to be cheaply built and
a little suspect. Given that the Great Lakes range from "pump-outs
most places" to "you are completely on your own" (i.e. the Upper Great
Lakes), I would suspect a lot of Canadians would like to hear your
thoughts on plumbing under sail.

R.

wrote:

[...]

Heh...Bubba's Book Sales Stalled CB General 16 July 27th 04 03:58 PM
Interesting book Gould 0738 General 4 November 6th 03 06:30 PM
Homer Hickam's latest book Lone Eagle General 0 September 29th 03 04:02 PM
Smelly raw-water spigot (Peggy, help!) Lloyd Sumpter General 12 September 17th 03 11:40 PM
Helpful new boating book Gould 0738 General 0 August 27th 03 05:39 PM