Lloyd Sumpter

Default Smelly raw-water spigot (Peggy, help!)

Hi

Peggy, I read your book (cover to cover!) and discovered a "why" but
not a "how to fix".

Far Cove has a salt-water spigot in the galley sink, run by a
foot-pump. VERY handy, but the first dozen or so pumps stink worse than
sewage! I understand that's probably because of the critters in the salt
water dying in the hoses and pump. I can replace them, but how do I
prevent this from happening again? I can't flush this system with fresh
water easily, can't clean...

Any ideas?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Peggie Hall

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi

Peggy, I read your book (cover to cover!) and discovered a "why" but
not a "how to fix".

Far Cove has a salt-water spigot in the galley sink, run by a
foot-pump. VERY handy, but the first dozen or so pumps stink worse than
sewage! I understand that's probably because of the critters in the salt
water dying in the hoses and pump. I can replace them, but how do I
prevent this from happening again? I can't flush this system with fresh
water easily, can't clean...

Any ideas?

The only cure/prevention for a stagnant sea water problem is, flush the
sea water out before it can stagnate. And the only thing I can think of
that might help you would be to tee a piece of hose into the line, with
a shut-off valve, that you can stick into a jug of clean water and pump
that through the faucet to rinse out the sea water after you close the
seacock.

A couple of people whose head sink drain and toilet intake locations
make it impossible to tee 'em to together to flush the seawater out of
their toilets have told me recently that that's how they've solved the
problem in their toilets--just a line teed into the head intake that
they can stick in a gallon milk jug.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:10:23 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Peggy!

Right now, this intake shares a thruhull with the engine's raw-water
inlet. I was thinking of moving it to the galley sink drain (closer,
easier access). If I did, I could flush it by turning off the seacock and
filling the sink with fresh water. But would the sink drain "yukky-stuff"
end up flowing back into this spigot too much?

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Right now, this intake shares a thruhull with the engine's raw-water
inlet. I was thinking of moving it to the galley sink drain (closer,
easier access). If I did, I could flush it by turning off the seacock and
filling the sink with fresh water. But would the sink drain "yukky-stuff"
end up flowing back into this spigot too much?

Not if you clean the sink first. The detergent/scouring powder used to
clean the sink should also clean the drain enough. You can also put a
squirt of Raritan C.P. down the drain after you flush it out...the
enzymes in it will keep the drain clean and smelling good.

Btw...I wouldn't pump any water into the sink while the engine's
running...unless you just happen to like replacing engine water pump
impellers often.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Harry Krause

Peggie Hall wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi

Peggy, I read your book (cover to cover!) and discovered a "why" but
not a "how to fix".

Far Cove has a salt-water spigot in the galley sink, run by a
foot-pump. VERY handy, but the first dozen or so pumps stink worse than
sewage! I understand that's probably because of the critters in the salt
water dying in the hoses and pump. I can replace them, but how do I
prevent this from happening again? I can't flush this system with fresh
water easily, can't clean...

Any ideas?

Yeah, stop pumping dirty water into your galley.

I have salt-water washdowns on my boats, but only to rinse out the cockpit.

What do you wash in your galley with that salt water?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Peggie Hall

Harry Krause wrote:
I have salt-water washdowns on my boats, but only to rinse out the cockpit.
What do you wash in your galley with that salt water?

A lot of sailboats have salt water galley pumps, Harry...'cuz unlike
powerboats, they can get too far from shore to head for the nearest
marine to fill up their water tanks when they run low, making fresh
water conservation necessary...so they rinse dishes, pots and pans in
salt water before washing them. In fact, some foods can even be cooked
in salt water. It's a LOT cleaner 50-1,000 miles offshore than it is in
coastal waters.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Harry Krause

Peggie Hall wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
I have salt-water washdowns on my boats, but only to rinse out the cockpit.
What do you wash in your galley with that salt water?

A lot of sailboats have salt water galley pumps, Harry...'cuz unlike
powerboats, they can get too far from shore to head for the nearest
marine to fill up their water tanks when they run low, making fresh
water conservation necessary...so they rinse dishes, pots and pans in
salt water before washing them. In fact, some foods can even be cooked
in salt water. It's a LOT cleaner 50-1,000 miles offshore than it is in
coastal waters.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Ahh, thanks. Lloyd needs to get himself offshore!

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Peggie Hall

Harry Krause wrote:

Ahh, thanks. Lloyd needs to get himself offshore!

You obviously haven't followed the saga of Lloyd's refit!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Harry Krause

Peggie Hall wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Ahh, thanks. Lloyd needs to get himself offshore!

You obviously haven't followed the saga of Lloyd's refit!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Uh, no. Lloyd's a great guy, but his approach and methodology to boat
repair and refit is not the path I'd follow.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Paul

Uh, no. Lloyd's a great guy, but his approach and methodology to boat
repair and refit is not the path I'd follow.

Poor Lloyd can't catch a break on this one. I won't mention my hull repair
that is a piece of tape. Oops, just mentioned it.