Wim

Default WARNING, Permanent residence card

Earlier this year Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) introduced the
Permanent Resident Card to increase border security, improve the integrity
of the immigration process, and provide holders with secure proof of their
permanent residence status when re-entering Canada.

As of December 31, 2003 all permanent residents will be required to present
their Permanent Resident Card to re-enter Canada upon returning from
international travel. The Permanent Resident Card costs $50.00 per
applicant. The Card is normally valid for five years and is renewable.
Application for and renewal of the Permanent Resident Card is a personal
matter, therefore it is the individual's responsibility to ensure
application is made to obtain this card. There will be no alternative to the
Permanent Resident Card, i.e. record of landing documents will not be
accepted.

Children of permanent residents will require a Permanent Resident Card in
order to travel internationally. Children of permanent residents who were
born in Canada are Canadian Citizens and will require a Canadian passport to
travel.

For detailed information on eligibility, the published schedule for applying
based on your year of 'landing', the necessary application forms and FAQ's
regarding the Permanent Resident Card, please contact the Citizenship and
Immigration Canada at:

Call Center at: 1-800-255-4541, OR

CIC website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/prcard.html

Personally I foresee two problems:
1) Many legally landed residents have been able to travel in and out: USA,
Mexico and many other business and/or winter vacation destinations on their
EXISTING documentation. This has changed NOW!!

2) I also think that a skipper/boat owner should be aware that he does not
invite a legal Canadian resident across the border into the e.g. USA.
WITHOUT this card your guests are not able to return back into Canada. At
present the systems calls for $50.00 fee. May be(?)........ also in
emergency on the wrong side of the Canadian border, but where do you apply
then?
In a case like this can you still afford to stay behind in a foreign country
at your own expense?? It may take 1 week to 6 months to get the Card!
Just food for thought and if it is any different, please enlighten me.
The crossposting is to reach the legally entered Canadian permanent
residents that might work or are visiting the USA, legally as well.
--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:09:48 +0000, Wim wrote:

Earlier this year Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) introduced the
Permanent Resident Card to increase border security, improve the integrity of
the immigration process, and provide holders with secure proof of their
permanent residence status when re-entering Canada.

I'm a bit confused here.

Is this in addition to, or in place of, a passport? And does it only refer to
"landed immigrants" or do citizens (like me) have to get one too?

Just one more reason NOT to go to the US. (although I guess we'll need them
when going to Mexico later this winter...)

(BTW: Good Point about guests on your boat when crossing the border - food
for thought even without the PR card!)

Lloyd Sumpter
Canadian

Chuck Bollinger

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:09:48 +0000, Wim wrote:

Earlier this year Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) introduced the
Permanent Resident Card to increase border security, improve the integrity of
the immigration process, and provide holders with secure proof of their
permanent residence status when re-entering Canada.

I'm a bit confused here.

Is this in addition to, or in place of, a passport? And does it only refer to
"landed immigrants" or do citizens (like me) have to get one too?

Just one more reason NOT to go to the US. (although I guess we'll need them
when going to Mexico later this winter...)

I usually don't mind complaints about the US and border stuff, figuring that
most of the time the complaint is a fair cop (I-68 comes immediately to mind).
But this card is Canada's invention, not ours. If I read it correctly, you (the
landed immigrant) would need this card for returning from a trip to Japan, UK,
Mexico... wherever. There is a similar message in another thread that tends to
leave the same impression.

It's not polite to make this look like all of this is the US's fault. We have
enough crap we're really guilty for - cut us some slack when we're bystanders.

Steve

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:02:44 GMT, Chuck Bollinger
wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

[...]

As a Canadian, pardon me if I don't beg forgiveness for my
countryman's mindless remarks against the US. I am not in the habit of
agreeing with someone who is wrong, simply because we happen to live
in the same country.

The Canadian Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is NOT required for
Canadian Citizens. It is only required for permanent residents of
Canada who for one reason or another have yet to receive their
citizenship.

Lloyd seems to be one of those types who just can't wait to blame the
States for everything that upsets them. Which would be really funny if
it wasn't such a widely adopted mantra by the Loony Lefties up here.

So feel free to invite a Canadian Citizen down for a boat ride.

Steve

Don White

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Lloyd.
After 9/11 there was all kinds of talk in local newspapers that the
Americans were unhappy with our security which
could endanger them.
In this port, we actually had US customs inspectors come up to assist the
locals. We also had to buy a hugh mobile
container inspection device. The implied threat was...if we weren't secure,
our shipments heading to the US would be in trouble. This was a big deal
because we compete for containers heading stateside.
We're a couple of days closer to Europe which means wecan unload the ships,
and ship the containers to the American mid west before the same ship
arrives in NewYork or Baltimore.

Steve wrote in message
snip...
The Canadian Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is NOT required for
Canadian Citizens. It is only required for permanent residents of
Canada who for one reason or another have yet to receive their
citizenship.

Lloyd seems to be one of those types who just can't wait to blame the
States for everything that upsets them. Which would be really funny if
it wasn't such a widely adopted mantra by the Loony Lefties up here.

So feel free to invite a Canadian Citizen down for a boat ride.

Steve

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:02:44 +0000, Chuck Bollinger wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

[...]

Sorry if that was the impression I made.

True, I don't like the US and have many reasons not to go there. But I didn't
mean to imply that THIS was caused by the US. Perhaps I should have said "one
more reason NOT to leave Canada" - would have been clearer. It really just
results in more hassles at the border, be it from US Customs or Canadian.
Yes, I complain about Canadian Govt too!

I'm still confused as to who needs this card, though...

Again, my apologies.
Lloyd Sumpter