Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default WARNING TO BOATERS WARNING TO BAOTERS

NASA REPORT:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...0.28Flare.html

The largest solar flare ever detected will hit earth approximately noon
EDT Wednesday.

Disruptions in power supplies and communications are possible.

Take appropriate precautions.

1. By 1100 edt. Turn of and disconnect (from antenna too) computers,
gps, sat radio, radar and other sensitive equipment.

2. Disconnect shore power cables due to possible power spike(s)

3. Stop any onboard generators to prevent EM overload, and pull battery
disconnects.

It should be safe to resume operations by 2:00 pm edt.
Expect heavy VHF & UHF interference.
Expect Radar "fuzz"

Good Luck All

Capt. Frank

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Whatever. I am not about to take the bait on that troll. NOAA has
already issued warnings to marine concerns. Just make sure your boat is
NOT secure. It will make a good "ground zero" test platform.

C.F.
WaIIy wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:29:51 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

NASA REPORT:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...0.28Flare.html

The largest solar flare ever detected will hit earth approximately noon
EDT Wednesday.

How can it be the largest??

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/1...are/index.html

The outburst was classified an X17.2 flare, the third largest on record,
according to Paal Brekke, a project scientist with the Solar and
Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), a sun-watching satellite mission
jointly run by NASA and the European Space Agency.

Good Luck All

Capt. Frank

Paul

I don't seem to be seeing any of these recommendations anywhere else.

I see that they have shut down some science related instruments on
satellites to be safe, and that there is a concern that it will affect
high-frequency radio communications. Some concern that it will affect
satellite communications including GPS ... that's all I'm seeing on various
legit websites.

But I don't see any recommendations to protect earth-based hardware
including the Nasa link you provide below.

If you have a link that would help I would appreciate it.

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...
NASA REPORT:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...0.28Flare.html

The largest solar flare ever detected will hit earth approximately noon
EDT Wednesday.

Disruptions in power supplies and communications are possible.

Take appropriate precautions.

1. By 1100 edt. Turn of and disconnect (from antenna too) computers,
gps, sat radio, radar and other sensitive equipment.

2. Disconnect shore power cables due to possible power spike(s)

3. Stop any onboard generators to prevent EM overload, and pull battery
disconnects.

It should be safe to resume operations by 2:00 pm edt.
Expect heavy VHF & UHF interference.
Expect Radar "fuzz"

Good Luck All

Capt. Frank

RG

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...
NASA REPORT:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...0.28Flare.html

Nice try, but you missed the *real* story...

SOLAR FLARE BRIEFLY KNOCKS OUT STING'S EGO

Impact on Singer Expected to be Temporary, Scientists Say

A gigantic solar flare slammed into the Earth's magnetic field on Wednesday
morning, briefly knocking out the ego of singer/actor Sting, scientists
said.

The performer was promoting his new book, a memoir entitled "Broken Music,"
on the television program "Live With Regis and Kelly," when the solar flare
slammed into the Earth's magnetic field.

Sting had begun telling the program's co-hosts about how his life-long love
affair with music began when he suddenly stopped, mid-sentence.

"Oh, who the bloody hell cares?" Sting said, the audience gasping as he
tossed his book aside in apparent disgust.

It was only hours later that scientists determined that the former Police
front-man's loss of ego, believed to be temporary in nature, had been caused
by the solar flare, surprising many experts.

"We had thought that the solar flare would have an effect on satellite and
cellular phone transmissions," said Dr. Kenneth Reid, a solar flare expert
at the University of Minnesota's Clausen Observatory. "We had no idea that
it was powerful enough to knock out Sting's ego."

Elsewhere, associates of the pop singer and MTV star Jessica Simpson said
that the solar flare might have caused Ms. Simpson's brain to function
temporarily.

Moments after the flare hit the Earth's magnetic field, Ms. Simpson was
observed correctly identifying canned tuna and brushing her teeth without
assistance.

Ms. Simpson's behavior was an "aberration," Dr. Reid said, and she was
expected to be back to bumping into doors and walls within hours.

The Borowitz Report

Capt. Frank Hopkins

What else could the solar flare have done?

I know! It made Linbaugh addicted to magnetic fields!

Post your "what else" next

Capt. F.