Bobsprit

Default Night vision monocular - cheap ones ??

The field
of vision is so small

And just to show that people shouldn't talk when they know so little,
FOV of the NightOwl = 628 at 1000 yards.
Narrow? Not even close. It's VERY wide. In fact its so wide at 3.1x that they
sell an add on lens to increase mag.

Capt RB
Bobsprit

Pardon me, I should have said "usable field of view". Awful distortion
when off center.

Gen 1 suffers from some distortion at edges of FOV. However, this does not
limit the ability to see in th dark and you mearly center an object when you
want a clearer view. In no way is FOV usability compromised.
When boating you want to see an object to know it's there, not make an accurate
sketch of it. For the purposes of nightime sailing, these inexpensive scopes
are amazing. I suggest that anyone reading here ignore Gary's comments AND mine
and try one for yourself. I was also told the Gen 1's were useless and then a
few sailors proved otherwise when sailing on the LIS. I even tried a pair of
those ancient gen 1 Russian binocs, 15-20 years old I think, and even they were
a revalation.

Capt RB

J. Slater

Anyone had experience with the Tasco NV150L, the one that is "self powered"?
It is a gen 1 scope and really, really small. I'm intrigued by the fact that
doesn't need batteries. Batteries on my boat don't store very long. I'm
sure that it isn't the best scope out there, and there are currently about a
dozen of them on ebay for under $100 delivered.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Really useful for cruisers would be cheap price, reasonable quality
night vision. I don't buy $300 or $700 binocs and wouldn't consider
those $$$ for night vision either. I see Harbor Freght has one at $69
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45372

See my comments in Alt.Saling.Asa and read reviews on Amazon. I'm using a

under
$200 Night Owl that works very well.

RB

Bobsprit

Anyone had experience with the Tasco NV150L, the one that is "self powered"?
It is a gen 1 scope and really, really small.

The 35mm objective is too small. Also: There's no IR illuminator, which WILL be
useful on a boat in very dark conditions.
I'd pass. Add to that that it's used and you can spend on a better unit.

RB

RB

rick

Default Night vision monocular - cheap ones ?? RANT

On 29 Nov 2003 15:29:26 GMT, Bobsprit wrote:

Seldom, if EVER, do you "get what you pay for".

I recently got a pair of BoatUS Fujinon's with compass as a gift. My

snip......
like to tell people, "It doesn't pay NOT to pay!" That means you
shouldn't buy
the cheapest stuff around.

Capt RB

the corolory to my aphorism was tacitly implied, thanks for clarifying
that which obsfucated my succintly honed point.
rick

oh yeah, IMHO you are correct.

Very cheap and low power anchor lights Dave Erickson Cruising 13 May 29th 13 02:38 PM
GPS And Night Vision Freddy General 0 July 24th 04 02:07 AM
FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news General 0 July 11th 04 05:41 PM
Night vision scope Peter Janssen General 8 December 11th 03 03:52 PM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Cruising 18 September 14th 03 11:42 PM