Default Boat Miami to Key Largo in 18 foot boat ??

Hello.

Anybody know, how long would it take an 18 foot Bayliner Capri Cuddy
(1999 with a MercCruiser 3.0) to go from Miami (Matheson Hammock) to
Key Largo (Pennicamp) via Atlantic coast?

Has anybody done it in a small boat like this?
Any info or danger?
If pushing the boat at about 60% (maybe 20 knots), how often would I
have to refuel and were would you recommend I stop?
Will Soldier, Elliot key and Key Byscane national parks be on the way
down? Will I run into nice sandy Islands? Recommended path? or other
info.

Anybody crazy enough to come with me? I am anticipating having a few
months off and want to do this... if I feel it's safe and possible I
will do it.

Many Thanks for any information!
Florida Keyz

as anybody done it in a small boat like this?
Any info or danger?

Going Hawks channel you will have to check your weather. Stay in the channel as
there are coral heads outside the channel.

If pushing the boat at about 60% (maybe 20 knots), how often would I
have to refuel and were would you recommend I stop?

Oceanside,There is no where to stop except Ocean reef, and I am pretty sure
they don't allow non members there. Your next closest place to fuel, as I
recall, is Holiday Inn Marina, Key largo harbor.

Will I run into nice sandy Islands?
No

Recommended path? or other
info.

Go the inside route, the icw. It;s an easily navigated, semi protected way to
go. Then you can stop at Gilberts as you first arrive in Key Largo, just past
the Jewfish Creek Bridge. Nice bar, fuel, hotel and food.

I would guess you can make the run in about 2 to three easy hours.

See ya in Paradise!

Sterling

Handyman

This is easily a one day trip
Stay inside the islands. The first services going south will be at
Jewfish Creek. Agter that there are regular marina stops on the bay
side of Largo.

The roughest part of the trip will be the open section of the bay from
Key Biscayne to Boca Chica Key. On a normal day though the waves will
be 1-2 feet.

This is an easy trip. Take a cell phone and a VHF.

Greg H|an

On 26 Nov 2003 20:21:05 -0800, wrote:

Hello.

Anybody know, how long would it take an 18 foot Bayliner Capri Cuddy
(1999 with a MercCruiser 3.0) to go from Miami (Matheson Hammock) to
Key Largo (Pennicamp) via Atlantic coast?

Has anybody done it in a small boat like this?
Any info or danger?
If pushing the boat at about 60% (maybe 20 knots), how often would I
have to refuel and were would you recommend I stop?
Will Soldier, Elliot key and Key Byscane national parks be on the way
down? Will I run into nice sandy Islands? Recommended path? or other
info.

Anybody crazy enough to come with me? I am anticipating having a few
months off and want to do this... if I feel it's safe and possible I
will do it.

Many Thanks for any information!

Handyman

Further on the trip.

Stop at Boca Chica harbor and climb the toy lighthouse. Stop at
University Harbor midway down Elliots and walk over to the Ocean side.
Go into Angelfish Creek and explore the side channels - seems like
real wilderness.

At Jewfish Creek there is a gas dock right on the route.

No there are no beaches. The last sand beach is on Key Biscayne.

Greg Han

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:37:34 GMT, Handyman wrote:

[...]

Florida Keyz

There is an area locals call Naked beach, just north of Manatee Marina in card
sound.

At lower tide levels the sand is out of the water. Look for the tall pine trees
along the shore there.

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
"Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 December 15th 03 09:50 PM
Trolling motor on a 21 foot boat? F330 GT General 7 July 31st 03 06:00 AM