posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Pround Mac26X owner again

"Dan Best" wrote in message
Horvath wrote:
The Dumpster. The ****can. The Toilet.

Ed,

Ignore the negative hyperbole some will attack you with. The Mac
serves it's niche well but some can't understand that just because a
boat isn't a good fit for them, it can be a great boat for someone
else.

That being said, if you'll permit, I'll offer a bit of advice.

Take baby steps.

Extend your range and the conditions you expose yourself too just a
little bit at a time. Before long, you'll be amazed at what you are
doing.

I've owned a variety of boats over the years, including a Mac (though
not the 26X). The Mac really isn't all boats to all people. There
are things it is just not designed or constructed to do. For
instance, just because it may be possible to cross an ocean with the
Mac, doesn't mean that it's a good idea. You can, however have a heck
of a lot of fun with it.

Dan Best
S/V Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192

Thanks for the sensible advice, sir. It's not easy to find around here
with all the jackasses running their mouths. Anyway, I'm an experienced
Mac26X sailor. Used to own and sail one about ten years ago. They have
their good points and a few minor bad points that can be fixed up. You
could cross an ocean in a pinch if you had to but they ain't made for
that. They're made for shorter trips and week-ending. They're them most
versatile boat made. Mass production boat at any rate.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:21:52 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess
he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

A name that's not identifiably female on a sailing vessel?
I don't think so!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Everybody knows a Mac26X is not a female. People who sail Mac's don't
usually give them girly names. Mac's need practical names that describe
how they are or what they can do. That's why I'm leaning towards calling
mine "Sensibility" or "Symbiosis".

Girl's names are better for the traditional boats that have the old
fashioned sheer lines and the wine glass transom shape. They look like
they have a rounded female shape. A Mac26X has a shape more like a man.
Like a body builder. Angular and square and powerful lines is what a
Mac26X is all about.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Ed Gordon wrote:
People who give a boat a joke
name end up being a joke themselves.

Ed,
Don't be too quick to condemn such names. Our two previous boats were
named "Clueless" (MacGregor 25) and "Still Clueless" (Catalina 30) and
they worked very well for us. The names not only kept us from taking
ourselves too seriously, but it seemed as though other boats gave us a
little slack when we did something stupid.

We had always envisioned naming the big boat when we finally got her
"Tre Clueless", but when push came to shove, it was just too classy a
boat to hang such a moniker on.

Dan Best
"Tricia Jean", Tayana 37 #192

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

Good to know that you know your place in the grand scheme of things.

"Formidable Karin"

:-D

Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

"Dreadnought"is a generic term for large war ships, not a name.

Edgar wrote:
Yes, right. You mean names like 'Indomitable', 'Victory', 'Invincible',
'Nonsuch', 'Terror', 'Formidable' and suchlike I assume. Women like that
would scare the hell out of me.

You missed the ever popular "Dreadnought".

"Dreadnought"is a generic term for large war ships, not a name.

No kidding? What a shock. I must've opened the wrong Schrodinger box
and now I'm in a different quantum. Where I come from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)

Capt. Lewry wrote:

"Dreadnought"is a generic term for large war ships, not a name.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...-d/drednt9.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:59:33 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. Those names are stupid sounding.

Sorry, I was trying to think of "descriptive" names for a small boat
not built for blue water sailing but out there anyway.