posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Pround Mac26X owner again

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:21:52 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote this crap:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

The Dumpster. The ****can. The Toilet.

I could put a sail and a motor on a dumpster and have a boat that
would outsail and out motor you.

This post is 100% free of steroids

wrote:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

A name that's not identifiably female on a sailing vessel?
I don't think so!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Horvath wrote:
The Dumpster. The ****can. The Toilet.

Ed,

Ignore the negative hyperbole some will attack you with. The Mac serves
it's niche well but some can't understand that just because a boat isn't
a good fit for them, it can be a great boat for someone else.

That being said, if you'll permit, I'll offer a bit of advice.

Take baby steps.

Extend your range and the conditions you expose yourself too just a
little bit at a time. Before long, you'll be amazed at what you are doing.

I've owned a variety of boats over the years, including a Mac (though
not the 26X). The Mac really isn't all boats to all people. There are
things it is just not designed or constructed to do. For instance, just
because it may be possible to cross an ocean with the Mac, doesn't mean
that it's a good idea. You can, however have a heck of a lot of fun
with it.

Dan Best
S/V Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

A good read - even if it's not your first boat...

http://www.sailingusa.info/First_500_miles.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess he's
Scottish)

MacGregor lives in California, I suspect he's American not Scottish.

Dave M.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

I got her at a real bargain basement price, yes siree!

That sort of says it all.

wrote:

First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

Yes, that will make her substantially more sea worthy. We spent a
couple of gnarly days going north in the gulf stream a few weeks ago.
You'll be right at home out there with a new name on the boat. Let
me suggest a couple:

"Holy sh*t"

"Sinking Sensation"

"Wok'n'roll"

"This End Up"

"Leaky Tiki"

wrote:

First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

Yes, that will make her substantially more sea worthy. We spent a
couple of gnarly days going north in the gulf stream a few weeks ago.
You'll be right at home out there with a new name on the boat. Let
me suggest a couple:

"Holy sh*t"

"Sinking Sensation"

"Wok'n'roll"

"This End Up"

"Leaky Tiki"

Thanks but no thanks. Those names are stupid sounding. I've got it down
to between "Sensibility" or "Symbiosis". People who give a boat a joke
name end up being a joke themselves. I want my boat to have a respectful
name. I think either of these two names fit a Mac26X and show respect
too.

I just wrote a post that smacked down Bobsprit. Ever notice the stupid
sounding names he puts on his boats? Circus side show stuff. Stuff that
don't make a lick of sense. Stuff that if he had to say it on the VHF to
get pulled off when he ran aground that would embarrass him to death.
Well, maybe not him but somebody with a brain for sure would be
embarrassed all the way.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon