DSK

Default We bought a boat - but gave it back

BinaryBillTheSailor writes:
.... You need a shrink, not
a boat.

Probably true of everyone here. There is no logical reason at all why
anybody should have a boat, and many sound & logical reasons why
having a boat is destructive.

However, a boat (or the search for one) is a lot more fun that a
shrink.

Nomen Nescio wrote:
And while I'm at it, you snobs need to make up your minds. Do
folks need to have a specific list of things they want in a boat,
or do they not?

No. Folk need *my* list of specific traits & characterisitcs in their
boat. Everyone would be better off, safer, more seaworthy, happier in
every way, if they had the boat *I* choose for them.

I don't understand all this resistance, if only people would do as I
say, the world would a far better place.

WaIIy wrote:

Another crabby sailor chimes in. You sound like "Nomen" (isn't
that
from "Married With Children"?), anyway.. Skip is careful and
calculated.

He has a plan.

That's not what you said last week. Why the change of heart?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bill

There some people who love sailing or just being on the water. There are
others that love to work on boats, others that like to own boats, and still
others that like to look at boats. Some people have a few of these
characteristics, some only have one.

I have a friend who has been looking at boats for 15 years. He has never
bought one. Over that time, I have owned 6 . My wife and I chuckle every
time he mentions a boat.

There is no perfect boat. If somebody really wants to go sailing he will do
it. Not having the prefect boat is just an excuse not to go.

Bill

wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:21:51 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote:

This originally appeared in a thread about marine heads...

"Bruce" wrote in message
Skip
What kind of boat did you buy?

We haven't yet. We had an accepted offer on a Mason 43 which Lydia

rejected
based on the teak and stern cabin redo needed. We expect the deposit

back
this week.

You should not have a boat. It's a far too variable and spontaneous thing

for
you to deal with.

If you really wanted a great boat, you would have bought one long ago.

There is
absolutely no legitimate reason that you have been doing all this

foundering.
You need a shrink, not a boat.

BB

Skip Gundlach

Planting tongue in cheek, I respond:

"Bill" wrote in message
There some people who love sailing or just being on the water. There are
others that love to work on boats, others that like to own boats, and

still
others that like to look at boats. Some people have a few of these
characteristics, some only have one.

I have a friend who has been looking at boats for 15 years. He has never
bought one. Over that time, I have owned 6 . My wife and I chuckle every
time he mentions a boat.

What kind of boat do you live on, where do you cruise, and did you do it
from cash or from liquidating assets?

We're cutting the lines; it will be our home.

And by the way, I currently own 9 boats, and three windsurfers and have
owned 6 others previously, now sold, so...

There is no perfect boat. If somebody really wants to go sailing he will

do
it. Not having the prefect boat is just an excuse not to go.

I don't need the perfect boat to go sailing. Or rowing (sculling), alone or
with another. Or water skiing. Or cruising to watch the fireworks or last
night's meteor shower that was drowned out by 2 inches of rain. I can step
out my back door and commence with what I already own. I do need something
completely different than what I have - or have thus far encountered before
two weeks ago - to be able to leave solid land for the rest of my life.

Oh, and I've been a boat owner for about 30 years, one way or another,
continuously.

Tongue back inside, all the above is gospel, not malarkey. At least what
*I* wrote :{))

L8R

Skip

LaBomba182

Subject: We bought a boat - but gave it back
From: WaIIy

Skip is careful and calculated.

He has a plan.

Which seems to be working out rather well.
If, that is, he never intends to actually buy a boat.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

John Smith

I totally agree - even if they bought a boat, they would obviously have
problems deciding wether to go out or not, then the ghastly decision of what
time to leave. etc etc. Get real

"Bruce" wrote in message
Skip
What kind of boat did you buy?

We haven't yet. We had an accepted offer on a Mason 43 which Lydia

rejected
based on the teak and stern cabin redo needed. We expect the deposit

back
this week.

You should not have a boat. It's a far too variable and spontaneous thing

for
you to deal with.

If you really wanted a great boat, you would have bought one long ago.

There is
absolutely no legitimate reason that you have been doing all this

foundering.
You need a shrink, not a boat.

BB

Toolowd

I think you do need to buy a boat and use it. You can use it and change if you
want. Life is too short for the stuff you are describing.

Take it for one who know's. We bought a hull and deck and spent 4 years
building it. In retrospect, we shoulda bought a boat sooner, sailed it, sold
it and bought another.

On the other hand, we are proud of her.

fairwinds.

Rich