Default Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

cavelamb himself wrote in news:aa18i.15809
:

Coward!

It's a dangerous job, but somebody has to do it...

What if she gets pregnant and the baby does NOT look like a Columbian Drug
Lord?? What then? Suicide??...(c;

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:17:37 -0400, Charlie Morgan
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:05:26 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
roups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

CWM

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant. I've got some router cutters stored in a "tupper ware"
container. To prevent rust I sprayed them liberally with WD-40. Some
six months later I opened the container and not a sign of oil.
However, the cutters were covered with a brown sticky coating and
hadn't rusted :-)

WD-40 seems to work best as a penetrating oil to free up stuck stuff.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:57:43 +0000, Larry wrote:

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry

One thing you do have to admit. He is certainly an optimist.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:26:05 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant. I've got some router cutters stored in a "tupper ware"
container. To prevent rust I sprayed them liberally with WD-40. Some
six months later I opened the container and not a sign of oil.
However, the cutters were covered with a brown sticky coating and
hadn't rusted :-)

WD-40 seems to work best as a penetrating oil to free up stuck stuff.

It's pretty useless in my experience. Doesn't do anything well.
The Mac26M of "oil"?
I would keep and use a small pump can of 10-40W engine oil and a rag
to wipe off excess as an "all-purpose oil" instead of WD40.
People use WD40 because it sprays out of a can and they can easily
keep their hands clean. That the only reason I know of at least.
Not too hard to get and store the proper lubricant for each
application.

--Vic

Bruce wrote in
:

One thing you do have to admit. He is certainly an optimist.

There's another reason not to sail with him! I don't want to sail with
someone with impossible goals, which may cause him to sail into that storm
and kill everyone aboard....

Larry
--
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:04:14 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:26:05 +0700, Bruce wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

CWM

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant.

Did you bother to read what I wrote before replying?

CWM

Sure did and just for you I'll rephrase my starement:

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is a lousy lubricant.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Charlie Morgan wrote:

:Well, that's your problem in a nutshell. Stop thinking of what it can't do, and
:try concentrating on what it CAN do. Before the introduction of WD40, master
:mechanics found kerosene to be very handy around the shop for a variety of
:tasks. WD40 is very similar to kerosene in it's abilities.

WD40 is kerosene. It just comes in handy spray can. It's mediocre,
at best, at everything people use it for.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
:On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
:
::Well, that's your problem in a nutshell. Stop thinking of what it can't do, and
::try concentrating on what it CAN do. Before the introduction of WD40, master
::mechanics found kerosene to be very handy around the shop for a variety of
::tasks. WD40 is very similar to kerosene in it's abilities.
:
:WD40 is kerosene. It just comes in handy spray can. It's mediocre,
:at best, at everything people use it for.

:Well, you started out wrong, and that's where you stayed. There is ZERO kerosene
:in WD40.

Don't let the facts bother you. Its MSDS says WD40 is a 50% mixture of
CAS 64742-47-8 (commonly called "Deodorized kerosene"), CAS 64742-48-9
(mineral spirits), CAS 64742-88-7 ("Straight run kerosene"); 15-25%
CAS 64742-65-0 (dewaxed heavy paraffinic solvent); and an additional
12-18% of CAS 6742-47-8, the aforementioned deodorized kerosene.
Sounds like kerosene to me. That's a change from the last time I
looked at the MSDS (several years ago), when it was roughly 70%
stoddard solvent, which is an aliphatic mineral spirit with a boiling
point range entirely contained by kerosene's.

David

Charlie Morgan wrote:

So, show us the word kerosene on that legally vetted document. I can say that
milk is kerosene, but that doesn't make it so.

Ok, but this is not rocket science.

Go to Google and enter "CAS 64742-47-8".
The first hit I get is the Center for
Disease Control site, who call it "Low
odor paraffinic solvent Dearomatized
kerosine Deodorized kerosine. Doesn't
say anything about milk.

Chuck

You can go there directly:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
ICSC:NENG1379 International Chemical
Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO) | CDC/NIOSH

Charlie Morgan wrote:
:On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:38:36 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
::On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
::wrote:
:
::Charlie Morgan wrote:
::
[...]

Are you incapable of reading for comprehension? The MSDS says it's
got kerosene in it. It calls it out by CAS number, because that's
what MSDSes do. There are lots of different types of kerosene, WD40
has at least two different types.

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,, Thomas Wentworth Cruising 20 June 15th 06 07:54 PM
Tool for Bobspit & his puppet Joe ASA 1 April 25th 06 06:11 PM
has anyone ever used a scan tool on a Merc' 350 magnum bravo lll ? Electraglide Cruising 0 October 10th 05 01:15 AM
And the Bush lies just keep on coming basskisser General 81 March 12th 04 01:27 PM
OT Bush: Fair and Balanced jps General 38 March 11th 04 01:39 PM