Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:26:05 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant. I've got some router cutters stored in a "tupper ware"
container. To prevent rust I sprayed them liberally with WD-40. Some
six months later I opened the container and not a sign of oil.
However, the cutters were covered with a brown sticky coating and
hadn't rusted :-)

WD-40 seems to work best as a penetrating oil to free up stuck stuff.

It's pretty useless in my experience. Doesn't do anything well.
The Mac26M of "oil"?
I would keep and use a small pump can of 10-40W engine oil and a rag
to wipe off excess as an "all-purpose oil" instead of WD40.
People use WD40 because it sprays out of a can and they can easily
keep their hands clean. That the only reason I know of at least.
Not too hard to get and store the proper lubricant for each
application.

--Vic