posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Tool for Bobspit & his puppet

I get such a frenzy out of Robert and his puppet Mys Terry from any
cast, I'm going to have to buy one of these

http://www.dehooker4arc.com/

STOP KILLING FISH YOU RELEASE!

I fish...allot! I catch and release a lot of fish. I also realize that
some of the fish I release are not going to survive because they have
been handled too roughly during the hook removal process or have simply
been hooked to deeply and the damage resulting from hook removal or
even leaving the hook in them will, most likely, be fatal. It bothers
me as I know it does other conservation-minded anglers.

Then I met Shawn and Kristen at Aquatic Release Conservation and was
introduced to the ARC Dehooker, a remarkably simple tool that took
years to develop and refine. I got a set and familiarized myself with
how they work and have been amazed at how effective they are for
removing hooks from all kinds of fish, even hooks that are deep inside
a fish's mouth, throat or stomach. Over the past three months I have
used the various size Dehookers on striped bass, bluefish, yellowfin
tuna, school bluefin tuna, sharks, marlin and even flyrod caught
rainbow trout and I am telling you that every angler should be using
these incredible tools.

Stop killing fish you release. With the ARC Dehooker and just a little
practice you will gain a sense of pride that comes with releasing your
fish knowing that you have given them the absolute best chance at
surviving the encounter, while doing your part to reduce catch and
release mortality. It's that simple.

Gary Caputi
Outdoor Writer

Also this will be a most excellent tool in dealing with Brody and his
puppet Mys terry.
And it's free!

The Florida Sea Grant/Novak/Venting Tool was designed and developed by
Florida Sea Grant in cooperation with Mote Marine Laboratory
researchers for releasing reef fish that may require special handling
to decrease mortality. When reef fish are brought quickly to the
surface, the gases in their swim bladder expand, often rupturing the
swim bladder. Venting may increase the survival rate of reef fish that
are released. Proper use of a venting tool can improve the fish's
chance of survival by allowing it to return to the bottom quickly. On
March 12, 2004 Florida Sea Grant graciously allowed ARC to offer these
life saving venting devices to anglers and fishermen. We have venting
devices available for request. The venting tool was named after one of
its co-founders Mr. Novak who recently passed away. Every vented and
released reef fish that survives will benefit the fishery as a whole
and will be a testament of Mr. Novak's and his colleagues at Florida
Sea Grant's dedication and commitment to fisheries conservation and
sustainability.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On 25 Apr 2006 08:01:21 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

I get such a frenzy out of Robert and his puppet Mys Terry from any
cast, I'm going to have to buy one of these

snipped that stuff about the dehooker and venting tool

Joe I think you are overestimating their value as sport fish. They
won't take a hook and they are very shallow fish, so you don't need
those tools. I liken them to a school of popeye mullet. One good
cast with a 14' monofilament net with a farely heavy lead line and you
got em. They are so easy you can wade up to your chest, in bright sun
light, half open the net and catch them.

Frank