posted to rec.boats.electronics
cm

Default "Cool Touch" Soldering Tool

Cold Heat Soldering Iron

$19.99 plus s&H

http://rapidresponse.directtrack.com...024/&dp=321031
************************************

A perfect demonstration of the cordless, quick-heat/quick-cool application
of Cold Heat technology, the Cold Heat soldering tool revolutionizes the
soldering industry for hobbyists, DIY-ers, technicians, electricians,
engineers and the military.

The Cold Heat Soldering tool, winner of the prestigious Red Dot
international design competition has a number of benefits over the
traditional soldering iron, including:

Cordless / battery operated
Heats and cools almost instantly--reaches 800°F in about 1 second Uses 4
replaceable alkaline AA batteries Over 700 joints per battery pack
Very safe--tip hot only during active soldering Tip heat indicator (red
light)
Replaceable tip included; other tip shapes available Independent lighting
function
Convenient carrying case included

Don't delay
http://rapidresponse.directtrack.com...024/&dp=321031
**************************************

Now only $19.99 plus s&H - Limited time offer with bonus case and
stripping tool

http://rapidresponse.directtrack.com...024/&dp=321031

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

krj wrote in news:kuPHf.4369$UD1.3899
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Spam and also junk!

Right on both counts. I don't care how fast it heats the tiny tip. I care
how fast it heats the center pin of a PL-259 coax connector, which it won't
because there is no MASS or POWER. No match for a Weller gas soldering
iron which will heat the connector in SECONDS and make a beautiful joint.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Spam and also junk!

Right on both counts. I don't care how fast it heats the tiny
tip. I care how fast it heats the center pin of a PL-259 coax
connector, which it won't because there is no MASS or
POWER. No match for a Weller gas soldering iron which
will heat the connector in SECONDS and make a beautiful joint.

yeah i was really excited about this tool when i got one. junk. maybe
.... MAYBE .. it would be ok soldering circuit boards, maybe. but the
tip seems too wide for that, and you couldn't do any surface mount
stuff with it i don't think, or if you did it would be using techniques
i cannot yet imagine. as for soldering "regular stuff", nope, i melted
the plastic part that holds the point the very first time i used it.
that is, i melted the tool itself, destroyed, deceased. and when i was
busy melting the tool it never did get hot enough to melt the solder i
was trying to melt, all i was trying to do was solder a ground wire to
a ground strap i had installed in the truck, trivial job for any
soldering iron. the tool would melt a bead of solder which would
promptly roll off the ground wire like a little BB, but it wouldn't
melt the glob that i was trying to attach the wire to.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

all i was trying to do was solder a ground wire to
a ground strap i had installed in the truck, trivial job for any
soldering iron.

No, not quite. The gauge on a ground strap is well beyond what any simple
soldering iron would handle. Warming up THAT much metal for it to take the
solder isn't gonna happen with a cordless job.

I've got one of those 'cool heat' units and it works well for soldering
something small like a 18-24ga wire. But it's not good for any sort of work
requiring constant heat.

the tool would melt a bead of solder which would
promptly roll off the ground wire like a little BB, but it wouldn't
melt the glob that i was trying to attach the wire to.

Bad soldering techniques won't work with even the best of irons.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

No, not quite. The gauge on a ground strap is well beyond what any
simple soldering iron would handle. Warming up THAT much metal
for it to take the solder isn't gonna happen with a cordless job.

maybe. the ground strap is a battery cable i installed that goes
through the floor of the truck to the chassis, and the ground wire i
was trying to attach was probably 10 or 12 gauge, i can't remember. i
agree totally that the cool heat isn't powerful enough to handle it and
is better for more of a 18-24 gauge wire type of job, or, like i said,
circuit board work, as my melting one of the tools proves well.

Bad soldering techniques won't work with even the best of irons.

oh absolutely, i'm a moron who doesn't know the first thing about what
he's doing, thanks for putting me in my place. cheers.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"purple_stars" wrote in news:1139842082.152612.90260
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

oh absolutely, i'm a moron who doesn't know the first thing about what
he's doing, thanks for putting me in my place. cheers.

Oh, you can ALWAYS count on any rec.boats newsgroup to do that!....(c;

Standing on the dock, flailing away, is one of their specialties...

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

maybe. the ground strap is a battery cable i installed that goes
through the floor of the truck to the chassis, and the ground wire i
was trying to attach was probably 10 or 12 gauge, i can't remember. i
agree totally that the cool heat isn't powerful enough to handle it and
is better for more of a 18-24 gauge wire type of job, or, like i said,
circuit board work, as my melting one of the tools proves well.

Oh yeah, I could definitely see it getting ruined attempting to do anything
more than one or two really small solder joints. I'll stick to my Weller
adjustable for anytime I need more than one or two quick connections.

For those that haven't seen one of these things, it works by having a tip
with two contacts that when touched to a metal surface immediately heats up
'enough' to melt solder. Utterly useless for a tiny pinpoint joint like one
might make on a surface-mount chip. But passable, just barely, for exactly
the sorts of joints they show being done on the TV commercial. Just don't
try anything more than that.

Bad soldering techniques won't work with even the best of irons.

oh absolutely, i'm a moron who doesn't know the first thing about what
he's doing, thanks for putting me in my place. cheers.

Well, dang, I'm gobsmacked. Someone in a newsgroup actually taking the hit
and not turning it into a flame fest? Will wonders never cease!

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Terry K

They are a POS. An old POS, at that. 40 years ago, our soldering
instructor made it plain that he was forced to teach us how to use a
conductive soldering kit the military had purchased, touted as far
superior, especially for terminating cannon style connecors. POS. Any
skilled solderer can do it better and faster with a 25 or 50 watt iron
and a fine chisel tip, and any one who solders for a living will tell
the same tale.

Oh, they are also a pain, needing a ground connector as well as the
"hot" carbon tip. The only advantage was that in our kit, there was a
solder cup drilled into a carbon rod mounted on a bench top chassis
that was sort of OK for tinning lots of little wire ends, if you didn't
have a third hand to hold the wire, solder, and iron. Any hot solder
cup is good for that, it need not be a conductive solder rig. setting
the regular iron on the bench top and handing the wire and solder kind
of wiped out that advantage for tinning.

PS- you can use a "D" cell to do the same thing as the fancy "cold"
rigs they sell. It works almost as well as using a coat hanger, jumper
cables and a vehicle battery to weld.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Any skilled solderer can do it better and faster with a 25 or 50 watt iron
and a fine chisel tip, and any one who solders for a living will tell
the same tale.

Indeed, if you're going to do anything more than a joint or two it's better
to use a real iron.

Oh, they are also a pain, needing a ground connector as well as the
"hot" carbon tip.

The battery ones have both on the split tip. There's no other ground
connector.