posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Default "Cool Touch" Soldering Tool

No, not quite. The gauge on a ground strap is well beyond what any
simple soldering iron would handle. Warming up THAT much metal
for it to take the solder isn't gonna happen with a cordless job.

maybe. the ground strap is a battery cable i installed that goes
through the floor of the truck to the chassis, and the ground wire i
was trying to attach was probably 10 or 12 gauge, i can't remember. i
agree totally that the cool heat isn't powerful enough to handle it and
is better for more of a 18-24 gauge wire type of job, or, like i said,
circuit board work, as my melting one of the tools proves well.

Bad soldering techniques won't work with even the best of irons.

oh absolutely, i'm a moron who doesn't know the first thing about what
he's doing, thanks for putting me in my place. cheers.