Default Sunbrela Colour

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
news

wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a
Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick
with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

You really don't want to start following any advice given by Wilbur. He
is a dyed in the wool idiot and well-documented troll. Buy whatever suits
your fancy. It's YOUR boat. FWIW, light colors like "Linen" are perfectly
suitable for your purpose, and are no less "nautical" than blue, green or
red. If it pleases you to make your canvas in pink paisley, it nobody's
business but your own.

And what do you know? Nothing, absolutely nothing. You're almost as
uninformed as mariedj who can't even SPELL Sunbrella and whose major
concern is color. What does that tell you about him/her? Well it tells me
that the concern for color takes priority over everything else. In other
words, appearance over practicality. In other words, priorities all out of
whack. It's not a boat. It's some lamer's idea of a fashion statement.
Probably has a color-matched purse. Probably has color-matched underwear.
And it follows probably has no idea what's important in a boat and
probably thinks only about cosmetics. And that's what it's going to say to
any knowledgeable sailor in any port in the world. "Hey, look at me! I
don't have a clue and I look like it."

Wilbur Hubbard

Quote: Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice. Unquote

You have not made any statement to validate the advantages of using the
traditional dart colors.
I wonder if you can?

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:05:55 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a
Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick
with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

You really don't want to start following any advice given by Wilbur. He is a
dyed in the wool idiot and well-documented troll. Buy whatever suits your
fancy. It's YOUR boat. FWIW, light colors like "Linen" are perfectly
suitable for your purpose, and are no less "nautical" than blue, green or
red. If it pleases you to make your canvas in pink paisley, it nobody's
business but your own.

Just to clear the air, the traditional color for awnings was always
white.

From the days of sailing ships right up to sometime after ww-II when
the unwashed hordes took up "boating" the traditional awning was
bleached cotton canvas -- white that is.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce" wrote in message

Just to clear the air, the traditional color for awnings was always
white.

From the days of sailing ships right up to sometime after ww-II when
the unwashed hordes took up "boating" the traditional awning was
bleached cotton canvas -- white that is.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Very true. Essie had white Sunbrella canvas when I bought her, 6 years ago.
I went to dark green as a "fashion statement," in part -- I thought it
looked better and accented the green cove stripe. Also, it looks clean even
when it's not -- which is not true of the white.

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 21:04:46 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

Just to clear the air, the traditional color for awnings was always
white.

From the days of sailing ships right up to sometime after ww-II when
the unwashed hordes took up "boating" the traditional awning was
bleached cotton canvas -- white that is.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Very true. Essie had white Sunbrella canvas when I bought her, 6 years ago.
I went to dark green as a "fashion statement," in part -- I thought it
looked better and accented the green cove stripe. Also, it looks clean even
when it's not -- which is not true of the white.

There is a boat banging around Asia for years named "Watermelon" The
predominant color is green. The mainsail cover has a section at the
mast that looks like a slice of watermelon. It sounds kind of weird
but actually looks good.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

I will ....
The dark colors are easier on your eyes because they absorb most of the
'color' reflectance.
Light Bright colors better reflect the light ... think of
snowblindness and sunburned retinas. :-)

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:47:03 GMT, Rich Hampel wrote:

I will ....
The dark colors are easier on your eyes because they absorb most of the
'color' reflectance.
Light Bright colors better reflect the light ... think of
snowblindness and sunburned retinas. :-)

Sunbrella has some new fabrics with one color on top and another underneath.

I have heard that dark colors are better for UV protection but I don't
know if that is the case. I talked to a charter boat captain who said
that people expected light colors in the tropics (where she was), but
that if she was doing it for herself, she'd have dark so it would be
like a cozy cave inside.

We have an off white bimini because I think it is cooler on a hot day.
More of the light is reflected off the top so less is converted to
heat. The bimini, even though of a light color, still makes shade so
that it is not too bright underneath of it. It might be a problem in
the winter to have the light reflected, but in that case, we'd have
the side curtains zipped on which would keep the wind out, and allow
it to warm up inside.

So bottom line is - I'm happy with my light colored bimini.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 3, 2:53 pm, Rich Hampel wrote:

I find darker colors are 'easier' on the eyes ... thats why baseball
caps have a dark green or black 'liner' under the visor.

Agreed, light colors reflect lots of light.

When was the last time you got a sunburn on the inside of your nose or
under your chin? Och!

Bark, green, blue, Tan/buck skin, battleship/deck gray, are my
choices. Most all the real boats Ive been on use a split pea soup
green for the deck.

Chromalogically Challanged Bob.

PS Painting my house trim. Just put "British Racing Green" AKA Jag
green, English cottage green, or old west coast boat green on my trim.
Looks real good. and very maritime too.

Marie -

In your effort to keep the bimini around longer, you might consider
using a Teflon thread. The Teflon thread I use goes by the trade name
of Tenara and is guaranteed for life. As you probably already know,
the polyester thread often used lasts somewhere around 3 to 5 years,
maybe even less the farther south you are. In my business I have
found that a perfectly serviceable bimini or cockpit cover becomes
worthless quickly once the threads start deteriorating. It is
expensive, though. It can add as much as 17% to the cost of the job.
Part of the reason for the expense is that it is more difficult to
work with than the traditional anti-wicking polyester thread.

Good luck.

keith

On Jun 3, 7:29 pm, wrote:
That may re-enforce that fact that my 1982 dart bleu subrella main sail
cover has not faded away yet.
Only the stitches had to be re-done.
For my next boat we have selected a color named "Linen" for the dodger and
bimini.
We hope that the canvass will last several years before replacement.

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message

Although the polyester fibers used in Sunbrella are quite stabile ...
the lighter the color the FASTER the degradation by UV.
The darker the color the longer the life in UV exposure (including
sails made of polyester dacron, etc.).

As regards 'thermal capacity' .... polyester doesnt have much 'heat
capacity' nor mass; so, it really doesnt matter what color your choose
as the amount/quantity of heat 'stored' in the Sunbrella (to
re-radiate/emit through the 'back side') isnt going to be very much
different.

I find darker colors are 'easier' on the eyes ... thats why baseball
caps have a dark green or black 'liner' under the visor.

In article ,
wrote:

I am about to finalized the colors for my dodger and bimini.
This time, we are going for a lighter shade like Toast or Linen.
I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to what would be the best color
for
the hot and temperate climate.
TIA

wrote in message
oups.com...
Marie -

In your effort to keep the bimini around longer, you might consider
using a Teflon thread. The Teflon thread I use goes by the trade name
of Tenara and is guaranteed for life. As you probably already know,
the polyester thread often used lasts somewhere around 3 to 5 years,
maybe even less the farther south you are. In my business I have
found that a perfectly serviceable bimini or cockpit cover becomes
worthless quickly once the threads start deteriorating. It is
expensive, though. It can add as much as 17% to the cost of the job.
Part of the reason for the expense is that it is more difficult to
work with than the traditional anti-wicking polyester thread.

Good luck.

keith

Thanks for the information.
I just checked the Genco sprecifications and they are usind ultraviolet-
resistant polyester thread.
The making of the dodger and bimini is underway and its too late the change
the thread.
Ill know for the next time.