[email protected] keith.kmcgregor@gmail.com is offline

Default Sunbrela Colour

Marie -

In your effort to keep the bimini around longer, you might consider
using a Teflon thread. The Teflon thread I use goes by the trade name
of Tenara and is guaranteed for life. As you probably already know,
the polyester thread often used lasts somewhere around 3 to 5 years,
maybe even less the farther south you are. In my business I have
found that a perfectly serviceable bimini or cockpit cover becomes
worthless quickly once the threads start deteriorating. It is
expensive, though. It can add as much as 17% to the cost of the job.
Part of the reason for the expense is that it is more difficult to
work with than the traditional anti-wicking polyester thread.

Good luck.

keith

On Jun 3, 7:29 pm, wrote:
That may re-enforce that fact that my 1982 dart bleu subrella main sail
cover has not faded away yet.
Only the stitches had to be re-done.
For my next boat we have selected a color named "Linen" for the dodger and
bimini.
We hope that the canvass will last several years before replacement.

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message

Although the polyester fibers used in Sunbrella are quite stabile ...
the lighter the color the FASTER the degradation by UV.
The darker the color the longer the life in UV exposure (including
sails made of polyester dacron, etc.).

As regards 'thermal capacity' .... polyester doesnt have much 'heat
capacity' nor mass; so, it really doesnt matter what color your choose
as the amount/quantity of heat 'stored' in the Sunbrella (to
re-radiate/emit through the 'back side') isnt going to be very much
different.

I find darker colors are 'easier' on the eyes ... thats why baseball
caps have a dark green or black 'liner' under the visor.

In article ,
wrote:

I am about to finalized the colors for my dodger and bimini.
This time, we are going for a lighter shade like Toast or Linen.
I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to what would be the best color
for
the hot and temperate climate.
TIA