Default Sunbrela Colour

I am about to finalized the colors for my dodger and bimini.
This time, we are going for a lighter shade like Toast or Linen.
I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to what would be the best color for
the hot and temperate climate.
TIA

wrote in message
I am about to finalized the colors for my dodger and bimini.
This time, we are going for a lighter shade like Toast or Linen.
I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to what would be the best color
for the hot and temperate climate.
TIA

Why not mauve? Sheeeesh!

There is only two acceptable colors for a boat. That's white or black
with blue trim. Therefore, get Pacific Blue Sunbrella. Save your "color
coordination" for your interior decorating at home....

Wilbur Hubbard

Although the polyester fibers used in Sunbrella are quite stabile ...
the lighter the color the FASTER the degradation by UV.
The darker the color the longer the life in UV exposure (including
sails made of polyester dacron, etc.).

As regards 'thermal capacity' .... polyester doesnt have much 'heat
capacity' nor mass; so, it really doesnt matter what color your choose
as the amount/quantity of heat 'stored' in the Sunbrella (to
re-radiate/emit through the 'back side') isnt going to be very much
different.

I find darker colors are 'easier' on the eyes ... thats why baseball
caps have a dark green or black 'liner' under the visor.

In article ,
wrote:

I am about to finalized the colors for my dodger and bimini.
This time, we are going for a lighter shade like Toast or Linen.
I wonder if anyone has any feedback as to what would be the best color for
the hot and temperate climate.
TIA

That may re-enforce that fact that my 1982 dart bleu subrella main sail
cover has not faded away yet.
Only the stitches had to be re-done.
For my next boat we have selected a color named "Linen" for the dodger and
bimini.
We hope that the canvass will last several years before replacement.

wrote in message
That may re-enforce that fact that my 1982 dart bleu subrella main
sail cover has not faded away yet.
Only the stitches had to be re-done.
For my next boat we have selected a color named "Linen" for the dodger
and bimini.
We hope that the canvass will last several years before replacement.

It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a
Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick
with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

wrote in message
That may re-enforce that fact that my 1982 dart bleu subrella main sail
cover has not faded away yet.
Only the stitches had to be re-done.
For my next boat we have selected a color named "Linen" for the dodger
and bimini.
We hope that the canvass will last several years before replacement.

It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a Home
Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick with
traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a
Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick
with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

You really don't want to start following any advice given by Wilbur. He is a
dyed in the wool idiot and well-documented troll. Buy whatever suits your
fancy. It's YOUR boat. FWIW, light colors like "Linen" are perfectly
suitable for your purpose, and are no less "nautical" than blue, green or
red. If it pleases you to make your canvas in pink paisley, it nobody's
business but your own.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
news

wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of
a Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time
stick with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor
boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

You really don't want to start following any advice given by Wilbur.
He is a dyed in the wool idiot and well-documented troll. Buy whatever
suits your fancy. It's YOUR boat. FWIW, light colors like "Linen" are
perfectly suitable for your purpose, and are no less "nautical" than
blue, green or red. If it pleases you to make your canvas in pink
paisley, it nobody's business but your own.

And what do you know? Nothing, absolutely nothing. You're almost as
uninformed as mariedj who can't even SPELL Sunbrella and whose major
concern is color. What does that tell you about him/her? Well it tells
me that the concern for color takes priority over everything else. In
other words, appearance over practicality. In other words, priorities
all out of whack. It's not a boat. It's some lamer's idea of a fashion
statement. Probably has a color-matched purse. Probably has
color-matched underwear. And it follows probably has no idea what's
important in a boat and probably thinks only about cosmetics. And that's
what it's going to say to any knowledgeable sailor in any port in the
world. "Hey, look at me! I don't have a clue and I look like it."

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:05:55 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
It'll last but while it lasts it'll also look like something out of a
Home Decorating magazine. Poor choice for a sailboat. Next time stick
with traditional colors. Leave the pansy colors for the motor boaters.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
You stated "Poor choice for a sailboat"
Conversely what makes the traditional dart colors a better choice.

You really don't want to start following any advice given by Wilbur. He is a
dyed in the wool idiot and well-documented troll. Buy whatever suits your
fancy. It's YOUR boat. FWIW, light colors like "Linen" are perfectly
suitable for your purpose, and are no less "nautical" than blue, green or
red. If it pleases you to make your canvas in pink paisley, it nobody's
business but your own.

Just to clear the air, the traditional color for awnings was always
white.

From the days of sailing ships right up to sometime after ww-II when
the unwashed hordes took up "boating" the traditional awning was
bleached cotton canvas -- white that is.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)