Default Sails

Putting a profurl headsail roller reefer on a 27 footer. Is it
necessary to have luff foam or rope for reefing on a sail this small?
Some sailmakers say yes, some no. Any direct experiences?
Thanks
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
Putting a profurl headsail roller reefer on a 27 footer. Is it necessary
to have luff foam or rope for reefing on a sail this small? Some
sailmakers say yes, some no. Any direct experiences?
Thanks
Gordon

Essie has a Profurl NC32 furler, Genoa built by North Sails. No foam or
other "bulker" in the luff, works just fine. YMMV.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Putting a profurl headsail roller reefer on a 27 footer. Is it necessary
to have luff foam or rope for reefing on a sail this small? Some
sailmakers say yes, some no. Any direct experiences?
Thanks
Gordon

Necessary? No. Good idea? Maybe. Depends on the size of the jib to begin
with. I have a 100% on a furler with no foam. Quantum built it for me from a
jib that was for a furler that got replaced with a new one. If I reef the
100, the sail is no longer perfect, but it wasn't perfect anyway. g

I've been considering a 130, and for that I would have them put the foam.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe Joe is offline

On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

Putting a profurl headsail roller reefer on a 27 footer. Is it necessary
to have luff foam or rope for reefing on a sail this small? Some
sailmakers say yes, some no. Any direct experiences?
Thanks
Gordon

Necessary? No. Good idea? Maybe. Depends on the size of the jib to begin
with. I have a 100% on a furler with no foam. Quantum built it for me from a
jib that was for a furler that got replaced with a new one. If I reef the
100, the sail is no longer perfect, but it wasn't perfect anyway. g

I've been considering a 130, and for that I would have them put the foam.

--
"j" ganz

If you bought proper hanked on sails you will not need rotting foam
and other types of dunnage used to maintain a proper sail shape.

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

[...]

I agree. Anybody installing roll-ups on a 27-footer is a weenie! Total
waste of money, a source of extra trouble and breakdowns, decreased
performance, ugly-looking and expensive. Only fools pay extra for less.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry dude, but I single-hand all the time. Hank on sails are fine when you
don't have to reef often by yourself.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe Joe is offline

On May 10, 5:56 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

[...]

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

An inner and outer fore stay, 2 sail tracks on the main, and a
mizzen and it's easy to keep ahead of the wind single handed with
hank on sails. Auto pilots helps.

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 5:56 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

[...]

Well good for you! I prefer the ease of pulling one line to roll up my sail.
If you don't, don't feel you have to get one.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If you bought proper hanked on sails you will not need rotting foam
and other types of dunnage used to maintain a proper sail shape.

Joe

Sorry dude, but I single-hand all the time. Hank on sails are fine when you
don't have to reef often by yourself.

I agree wholeheartedly.

It took me years to change to a roller furler due to a number of
reasons including thoughts of the thing malfunctioning in heavy
weather and having to pull the whole sail out to get it down.

A friend of mine who had circumnavigated solo in her 30 footer without
an engine convinced me. It is safer being a single hander being able
to reef etc from the cockpit, faster and much less effort. I'm not
racing so why would any less than perfect sail set worry me?

Peter

On May 10, 3:56 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 10, 4:30 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message

[...]

I've hanked on enough sails singlehanded to appreciate a good reefer/
furler. Far Cove has one, and it's a Joy to always have Just Enough
headsail rather than always too much or too little. As for the foam
luff: I think it's a Good Idea, and as mentioned does give you a
better sail shape when reefed, but not necessary for reefing. Just
make sure you get a GOOD furling system (mine is a Harken) - the
cheaper ones furl but don't reef.

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Buying Used Sails Maxprop ASA 0 February 4th 07 04:32 PM
DEALS on Sails for ASA'ers Capt. Rob ASA 91 October 19th 06 07:57 PM
Our New Sails....on the way! Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 14th 06 09:21 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM