Den73740

Default Outboard opinions

There's a wealth of boating experience in this group and I'd like to tap into
it to keep from making a costly mistake.

I'm getting ready to purchase an outboard in the 50-70 hp range. I want to get
a four stroke. It will be run in salt water. I'd like to get opinions and
experiences from anyone with OBs in this range.

Thanks for your help

Dennis
DaveH

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 4-strokes, but I don't have
one myself. You may get more feedback at www.thehulltruth.com. (no
affiliation, just something to try)

"Den73740" wrote in message
There's a wealth of boating experience in this group and I'd like to tap

into
it to keep from making a costly mistake.

I'm getting ready to purchase an outboard in the 50-70 hp range. I want

to get
a four stroke. It will be run in salt water. I'd like to get opinions and
experiences from anyone with OBs in this range.

Thanks for your help

Dennis

Default 4 stroke outboard issues (was Outboard opinions)

A fellow cruiser just dumped his almost new (30 hours) Mercury 4 hp, 4
stroke ob in in the ocean while running. Merc dealer says is a zero.
$1100 in parts and labor because the piston, crank, rod all fractured
and Merc doesn't sell a replacement powerhead for this - it's made by
Tohatsu for them. New unit is $1150. So I asked the Svce Mgr - what
happened - I've dumped my Suzuki 4 hp and Evinrude 15 hp (both 2
stroke) in the ocean, rinsed them out, started them and still use
them. Answer - the 4 stroke ob's have valves and higher compression
and lighter (thinner) parts to save weight - so a hydraulic lock in
them fractures them unlike the 2 strokes.

"Den73740" wrote in message
There's a wealth of boating experience in this group and I'd like to tap

into
it to keep from making a costly mistake.

I'm getting ready to purchase an outboard in the 50-70 hp range. I want

to get
a four stroke. It will be run in salt water. I'd like to get opinions and
experiences from anyone with OBs in this range.

Thanks for your help

Dennis

Schoonertrash

I had one of those imitation Mercury's in 3.3HP. The local Mercury dealer
wouldn't touch the thing. This must be the four stroke version. The only
brand to buy is Yamaha. Honda doesn't even run a close second. Go across
the S.Pacific and you see Honda's junked. They break more than Yamaha's and
you have to send them back to the factory for repair. Try that from Niue.
The worst is the Sears Gamefisher series.

MST

Panama

So try to buy a new Yamaha 2 stroke small outboard - they don't make
'em anymore - 8 hp is the smallest.

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 23:27:33 -0500, "Schoonertrash"
wrote:

I had one of those imitation Mercury's in 3.3HP. The local Mercury dealer
wouldn't touch the thing. This must be the four stroke version. The only
brand to buy is Yamaha. Honda doesn't even run a close second. Go across
the S.Pacific and you see Honda's junked. They break more than Yamaha's and
you have to send them back to the factory for repair. Try that from Niue.
The worst is the Sears Gamefisher series.

MST

Don White

Are you saying the new Yamaha 2.5 hp 4 stroke is a more reliable engine
than the Honda 2 hp 4 stroke air cooled engine?
In this area they cost close to the same and I was wondering which to buy.