Default Yamaha Enduro 2 Stroke Stator Problem

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got the fly wheel off to access to stator coil. The two wires which
attach to it show an open circuit. I assume that there should be some
resistance. Is this a good assumption?

-- Geoff

Geoff, I'm sorry, but you've exceeded my knowledge of such things. g

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 7 Apr 2007 10:47:39 -0700, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

I got the fly wheel off to access to stator coil. The two wires which
attach to it show an open circuit. I assume that there should be some
resistance. Is this a good assumption?

Yes, but I don't know the normal resistance reading. Can you get
another coil?

wrote:
I got the fly wheel off to access to stator coil. The two wires which
attach to it show an open circuit. I assume that there should be some
resistance. Is this a good assumption?

Yes, but I don't know the normal resistance reading. Can you get
another coil?

Well, it's a coil and I expect it to have some resistance and not be
an open circuit. I don't see any voltage when I crank it, so I guess
that my assumption is correct. I'm working on finding parts and
figuring out where I can get them flown in to. All of this fits my
definition of cruising: "Repairing complex systems in exotic
locations." Note that "exotic locations" translates to someplace that
FedEx and UPS have never heard of!

-- Geoff

On 7 Apr 2007 13:26:40 -0700, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

"Repairing complex systems in exotic
locations." Note that "exotic locations" translates to someplace that
FedEx and UPS have never heard of!

I would certainly concede that your cruising locations are a lot more
exotic than most.

Where on Google Earth can we find you these days? Maybe we can
arrange an air drop... :-)

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help. The Cape Coral/Ft
Myers area has a great abundance of marine supplies, and our local UPS
store has a good track record. Given your good internet connection,
there must be some civilization where you are.

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in
oups.com:

I don't see any spark at the plugs.

The spark plug cap on a Yamaha outboard consists of a wire spring inside a
rubber boot that pushes over the sparkplug cap, instead of a proper metal
cap. The wire spring shoves it way back up into the cap because nothing
holds it in place. The other end of the wire spring is simply shoved into
the center of the sparkplug wire with nothing really holding it but the
rubber cap. When this comes loose, of course, (not if), there will be no
or very low spark at that plug and the Yamaha will run like crap.

Unplug the rubber cap from the sparkplug.

Use needlenosed pliers to pull the metal spring back into the hole where
teh spark plug cap fits. Make sure the upper end of the spring wire is
still shoved up into the plug wire so it will get the HV pulse and
CAREFULLY wiggle it down over the spark plug cap until it seats. If you're
careful, you can feel the cheapass spring stretch over the cap...

It's crap...It's YAMAHA!

Larry

wrote:
"Repairing complex systems in exotic
locations." Note that "exotic locations" translates to someplace that
FedEx and UPS have never heard of!

I would certainly concede that your cruising locations are a lot more
exotic than most.

Where on Google Earth can we find you these days? Maybe we can
arrange an air drop... :-)

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help. The Cape Coral/Ft
Myers area has a great abundance of marine supplies, and our local UPS
store has a good track record. Given your good internet connection,
there must be some civilization where you are.

I must admit that I mis-wrote when I stated that I was in the
Carribean. I'm in the Bahamas, which I don't believe is part of the
Caribbean basin. Anyhow, I was more concerned with providing the
details concerning the motor than about where I was.

I'm currently in Waderick Wells which is part of the Exumas Land and
Sea Park. It's absolutely beautiful and is a great place to be
"stuck". They have WIFI Internet at $10/day, which works if you need
some place to research problems and order parts. My biggest problem
is that Monday is Easter Monday and everything is closed. I'm hoping
to have a new stator shipped on the mail boat to Staniel Cay on
Wednesday.

Since I have Internet I've been able to update my web site with
pictures and trip logs. You can find them in the 2007 sections of
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Thanks for all of the useful feedback that I received.

-- Geoff

On Apr 7, 11:37 pm, Larry wrote:
"GeoffSchultz" wrote groups.com:

[...]

Quite often your posts are very insightful, but sometimes they reek of
personal bias which often isn't born out by other's experience. This
is such a post.

I don't know which Yamahas you've looked at, but mine has a "proper"
metal cap. The problem is with the stator as the coil is an open
circuit.

Re the "It's crap...It's YAMAHA!" I would very much disagree. I've
owned 15 HP Yamaha 2 stroke motors for 5 years and have had ZERO
problems until now. The motor has started one the 1st pull and hauls
two people with dive gear on a plane with no issues. You can find
parts for Yamahas everywhere in the Caribbean, which is not the case
for other vendors. I used to own a Nissan 9.9 and it was next to
impossible to get parts for it. Honda and Mercury are rarely seen
down there other than when owned by cruisers. They may be good
motors, but just pray that you don't need parts.

-- Geoff

On 8 Apr 2007 08:11:24 -0700, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

Quite often your posts are very insightful, but sometimes they reek of
personal bias which often isn't born out by other's experience. This
is such a post.

I don't know which Yamahas you've looked at, but mine has a "proper"
metal cap. The problem is with the stator as the coil is an open
circuit.

Larry had a little "incident" with a Yamaha jet boat that didn't live
up to his expectations many years ago.

wrote:

Quite often your posts are very insightful, but sometimes they reek of
personal bias which often isn't born out by other's experience. This
is such a post.

I don't know which Yamahas you've looked at, but mine has a "proper"
metal cap. The problem is with the stator as the coil is an open
circuit.

Larry had a little "incident" with a Yamaha jet boat that didn't live
up to his expectations many years ago.

Sounds to me like Larry's been breathing way too much carbon monoxide
for way too long.

Wilbur Hubbard

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in
oups.com:

I don't know which Yamahas you've looked at, but mine has a "proper"
metal cap. The problem is with the stator as the coil is an open
circuit.

40 hp, 2-cyl Yamaha 2-stroker with electric lift on a Jolly Boat. Stranded
us running on 1 cylinder. Took a while to find the spring hidden up in the
cap.

Larry

older yamaha 9.9 4 stroke? Shaun Van Poecke Cruising 7 January 14th 07 05:25 PM
Yamaha 50 four stroke vs 60 two stroke Jack Redington General 4 January 27th 06 01:56 AM
propeller noise? yamaha 100 4 stroke [email protected] General 2 May 31st 05 10:23 PM
Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 Terry McMahon Cruising 1 August 9th 03 02:13 AM