Terry McMahon

Default Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9

After thorough researching we selected the Yamaha engine for our
dinghy. Yamaha has a reputation for a very reliable motor. We
selected the 4 stroke because of maintenance ease. The motor was
bought from Suncoast Inflatables along with a Caribe dinghy. In less
than 4 months, I put one gallon of oil in the motor. It has been a
headache all the way down to Trinidad and finally would not start. On
two occasions, Suncoast indicated that they would pay for the shipping
and in Trinidad even gave the shipper a Credit Card. They finally
reneged on the deal. I shipped the motor at my cost to another
dealer. In addition Yamaha was informed of this problem and so far
nothing has happened with them. We obviously got a "lemon" because no
othe cruiser has had this kind of problem
Capt. Matt

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Thanks for sharing, helps us
all to evaluate future purchases. I have been very impressed with the Yamaha
4-stroke (100 hp, commercial use) but how they handle the smaller (hp)
problems can reflect on the standing for the bigger high volume user.

Best of luck.
Matt

"Terry McMahon" wrote in message
om...
After thorough researching we selected the Yamaha engine for our
dinghy. Yamaha has a reputation for a very reliable motor. We
selected the 4 stroke because of maintenance ease. The motor was
bought from Suncoast Inflatables along with a Caribe dinghy. In less
than 4 months, I put one gallon of oil in the motor. It has been a
headache all the way down to Trinidad and finally would not start. On
two occasions, Suncoast indicated that they would pay for the shipping
and in Trinidad even gave the shipper a Credit Card. They finally
reneged on the deal. I shipped the motor at my cost to another
dealer. In addition Yamaha was informed of this problem and so far
nothing has happened with them. We obviously got a "lemon" because no
othe cruiser has had this kind of problem

Yamaha 4 stroke engine noise? CFLav8r General 4 June 27th 04 08:05 PM
20 foot Key Largo 2000CC, Which Motor, Yamaha 150 2 or 4 cycle, Help. Joe General 2 June 7th 04 02:52 PM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
Yamaha Outboard Timing help Chris Selwyn-Smith General 4 September 20th 03 01:54 AM
Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke Eisboch General 1 July 14th 03 04:01 PM