Joe

Default 20 foot Key Largo 2000CC, Which Motor, Yamaha 150 2 or 4 cycle, Help.

I am looking at buying the Key Largo 2000CC 20 foot V hulled fishing
boat. I can have either the engine that is on it, 150 HP Yamaha 2
Cycle, or I can pay $1000 more and get the 4 cycle 150 Yamaha.

There is only enough information in the groups to tell me this:

4 Cycle offers low noise, good fuel economy, and will be a little
slower in the top speed over the 2 cycle.

The 2 cycle may eat more fuel, push fuel out into the enviroment, but
will have more low end get-up and go and higher overall top speed. It
won't like cruising at low speeds and will need to be opened up to
clean it out after it is run at low speed for any length of time.

More people are looking to buy boats with 4 cycle engines. Is this
because they don't know any better, or because they value the economy,
quietness, and don't care about top speed?

Is top speed the only drawback to 4 cycle when comparing the exact
same HP in both engine sizes?

I hear tha Yamaha is #1 in reliability, is this for 4 cycle as well?

I was going to buy a Sea Pro, but whenever I asked any of my long-time
off shore fishing buddies, they all said it was a cheaply made boat.
Not so for the Key Largo. I have been told by Key Largo, that their
2000CC is molded in the mold from a Hydra Sport. ( I hope I got that
right), he said if I see a hull that looks like mine, it will be an
older Hydra Sport because they bought the molds when they went out of
business.

I hope to put a deposit on this boat soon. I can get the 2000CC with a
Aluminum Tandem trailer, Garmin 168 installed, Compass, 150 Yamaha 4
Cycle, the T-top, cock-pit wash down and more, for $23000.00 $1000
less if I want the 2 cycle Yamaha instead.

Please try to send replies to me as well as the group. Thank you,
Joe

massimj@HOTMAILdotCOM Please fix the dot before sending.
FishFan

Since you're looking for opinions, here's mine...

You didn't say whether the 2-stroke is a HPDI or not, but if not I'd
splurge for the 4-stroke. It might take a long while, but if you use
the boat alot it will eventually pay for itself in fuel and oil
savings. Even if it doesn't it will help with resale, and you get the
other advantages. I think Yamaha is your best bet in an engine choice
for reliability and resale. I can't comment on the Hydra-sport angle
or Key Largo quality first hand. The price doesn't sound bad for the
whole package.

Recommend you get a test ride in one with a load of fuel, gear and
people in the kind of conditions you'll be using it in before you take
the plunge - especially if you're worried about acceleration or top
speed with the 4-stroke.

FishFan
Joe

I got one person who suggested that the 4 cycle was too heavy and
would offset the balance of the boat. I check the Yamaha web site and
found that the 4 cycle has a extra year warranty, weighs only 40
pounds more, has a little increase in cubic Inch, 4 cycler instead of
V6 on the 2 cycle.
The other benefits are the whisper quiet operation, no oil to burn or
smell. I think the 4 cycle was the right choice, if that ever changes,
i will post a follow-up to this message. I won't have the boat until
after they show it ta the boat show in West Palm on the 19th of this
month.

Thanks for the feedback. Joe