Default Yamaha Enduro 2 Stroke Stator Problem

I am cruising in the Caribbean and just happened to be in a location
with Internet access. I only expect to have Internet until Saturday
noon, so if anyone can provide help in this period, I would be very
appreciative.

I have a 15 HP Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke outboard which is about 5 years
old. It's always run like a champ. Today when I went to start it, it
wouldn't even begin to start. I'm not well versed in the terminology
of outboards, so please bear with me. I am a good trouble shooter.

There's plenty of fuel available at the carburetor.

I don't see any spark at the plugs.

The cut-off switch appears to be working fine. It's open when the
"key" in installed and closed when pulled.

I believe that the power source for the plugs is called a stator and a
rotator. There are 2 wires coming from the stator assembly, but I
don't see any voltage coming from them. I've tried jumping them to
ground and I see no spark. The sealed unit that they lead to is
labeled "63 V", so I'm assuming that the input is 63V and that I
should be able to see a spark from it. I also assume that it bumps
the voltage to a much higher level for the plugs. I've checked the
output of the sealed unit (which leads to the plugs and see no spark.

There's a magnetic switch located next to the fly wheel which closes
briefly on every 1/2 rotation of the flywheel. This appears to
control the timing of the spark and seems to be working fine.

I was leery of taking the flywheel off to expose the stator/rotator as
I don't know how it's assembled and/or what parts might drop off and
how it needs to be aligned. I'm assuming that this is where the
problem is. Any suggestions as to how to proceed and what I need to
be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Assume the magnets in the flywheel are OK. They rarely go bad unless
somebody whacks the flywheel with a hammer or something. That being
said, assume the stator coil is bad. It can be checked with an ohm meter
for the proper resistance without removing the flywheel. Find the proper
resistance in the specs and whether or not the stator coil should be
grounded. If it should not be grounded and is grounded then you've
discovered a shorted stator coil. It if is not grounded and should not
be grounded you need to check the resistance to make sure it is within
specs and not shorted internally as in one winding of a wire shorted to
another thus rendering the coils in between ineffective. If you find an
open circuit in the stator it is definitely bad. The stator is just
coils of fine copper wire coated with lacquer insulation wrapped around
an iron core. The magnetism from the flywheel magnets induces an
alternating current in the coil as the North/South magnetic poles rotate
by. It sounds like you probably have capacitor discharge ignition. The
62V box contains all that and may be bad provided the stator tests good.
Or, definitely check the plug wire and plug cap. They often fail.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard again failed to live up to his feeble commitments when he
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

liar.

[...]

The only thing I can think of, and it happened to me once in the bay and
once in Mexico, was that although the cut-off switch appears to be working,
it may not be. The fix for me was to try several times, then jam something
between the key and the switch post. Started immediately. In Mexico, the
whole key and lanyard went in the water... used whatever I could find to rig
it, but it was a bit finicky until I got it right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Cessna 310" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard again failed to live up to his feeble commitments when
he wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

liar.

It was a cross post. I didn't realize it was coming over here. So sorry.

Wilbur Hubbard

The only thing I can think of, and it happened to me once in the bay and
once in Mexico, was that although the cut-off switch appears to be working,
it may not be. The fix for me was to try several times, then jam something
between the key and the switch post. Started immediately. In Mexico, the
whole key and lanyard went in the water... used whatever I could find to rig
it, but it was a bit finicky until I got it right.

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

The cut-off switch appears to ground the output from the stator when
the key is removed. I've checked and can see that it opens/closes as
expected. I've also disconnected it, which won't allow it to connect
the stator to ground, with no difference.

I checked the resistance of the wires from the stator and it's an open
circuit between the wires. It's about 350K ohms from the wires to
ground.

I don't have a shop manual as I have the Enduro version of the motor
and the US doesn't stock Enduro manuals, although I can't believe that
they would be that much different.

I suspect that the problem is with the stator. I've never pulled the
fly wheel off of the motor before. What do I have to be aware of when
doing this?

-- Geoff

On Apr 7, 8:38 am, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:
[...]

That the woodruff key does not fall into the water. Back the nut off
to the top of the shaft, but keeping it fully threaded and smack it
with a mallet to free the wheel, the key will fall out as you lift the
flywheel. Take some fine emery cloth and shine it up like new.

Joe

krj krj is offline

GeoffSchultz wrote:
[...]

Goeff,
How did you get to the Caribbean so quick. I thought you were only going
to the Turks and Caicos?

[...]

Not losing parts... which is damn easy to do.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I got the fly wheel off to access to stator coil. The two wires which
attach to it show an open circuit. I assume that there should be some
resistance. Is this a good assumption?

-- Geoff

older yamaha 9.9 4 stroke? Shaun Van Poecke Cruising 7 January 14th 07 05:25 PM
Yamaha 50 four stroke vs 60 two stroke Jack Redington General 4 January 27th 06 01:56 AM
propeller noise? yamaha 100 4 stroke [email protected] General 2 May 31st 05 10:23 PM
Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 Terry McMahon Cruising 1 August 9th 03 02:13 AM