Default Racor filter installation

Does anyone have any information or advice on whether or not a racor element
filter can be installed above the fuel tank on a V8-71 detroit diesel? Thanks

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:05:17 GMT, "oceantom" u32897@uwe wrote:

Does anyone have any information or advice on whether or not a racor element
filter can be installed above the fuel tank on a V8-71 detroit diesel? Thanks

No reason why not as long as your fuel pump is working correctly and
you don't appreciably increase the lift distance from what you have
now. I'd recommend installing vacuum guages at the same time, and a
parallel filter switching arrangement.

I have Detroit 6-71s and my filters are below fuel level with full
tanks, and above when 2/3rds empty.

On Mar 28, 12:05 pm, "oceantom" u32897@uwe wrote:
Does anyone have any information or advice on whether or not a racor element
filter can be installed above the fuel tank on a V8-71 detroit diesel? Thanks

My advice is to install them below fuel level. Makes changing filters
and purging air mucho easier.
Nothing worse then an air bound detroit.

Mount them above and chances are you will become a Detroit fuel rack
expert in no time;0)

Joe

On Mar 28, 1:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 10:43:38 -0700, wrote:

Mount them above and chances are you will become a Detroit fuel rack
expert in no time;0)

Solved that problem.

After an "interesting filter change incident" I had my diesel guy
install electric priming pumps on each engine. They can be valved in
and turned on in about 5 seconds. Total cost was less than $300 for
two engines. The reliability improvement is priceless.

If the fuel tanks are mounted below engine level which is typical on
many sportfish and motor yachts, it is just about impossible to mount
the Racors below tank level. Even if you can there is still an issue
with changing the engine mounted filters. Priming pumps, that's the
way to go.

Actually there is a better way to do it. On my main I have a quart
size bleed tank mounted at the highest spot in the fuel loop. All you
do is start the main, let all the air collect in the chamber and vent
all air off the top through a clear hose into a tank for filling the
housings. You can see it in the picture on top the engine with the
loop of clear hose, sorry you can not see the valve.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/242...63212926AEgQPt

Joe

wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

Joe,

I've been running and working on diesels for about
35 years now, but I'm having a little trouble
understanding how your fuel setup works. From
what you wrote, I think that you have a small tank
mounted on the fuel return loop above the engine.
How does that help you if you have air in the
injector pump? Obviously, I'm missing something.

Don W.

Wayne.B wrote:

On 28 Mar 2007 10:43:38 -0700, wrote:

Mount them above and chances are you will become a Detroit fuel rack
expert in no time;0)

Solved that problem.

After an "interesting filter change incident" I had my diesel guy
install electric priming pumps on each engine. They can be valved in
and turned on in about 5 seconds. Total cost was less than $300 for
two engines. The reliability improvement is priceless.

If the fuel tanks are mounted below engine level which is typical on
many sportfish and motor yachts, it is just about impossible to mount
the Racors below tank level. Even if you can there is still an issue
with changing the engine mounted filters. Priming pumps, that's the
way to go.

Hi Wayne,

I only have a single engine (Yanmar) and I'm
considering installing an electric boost pump with
twin y'ed filters, and a day tank. I haven't got
it completely thought through yet, but I think I
should be able to set up the system to

1) Auto fill the day tank with filtered fuel from
the main.

2) Polish the fuel in the main by running it
through the filters and back into the main

3) Polish the fuel in the day tank by running it
through the filters and back into the day tank
(don't know why I'd want to do this...)

4) Prime the engine by pressurizing the fuel line
into the injector pump. (I'd still have to crack
a bleed valve up by at least one injector).

5) Allow a filter change while the engine is running.

6) Brew coffee and tea, and make donuts, etc. ;-)

I'd like to hear more about your fuel system
setup. It sounds interesting.

Don W.

On Mar 28, 2:42 pm, Don W
On Mar 28, 1:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

Don W.- Hide quoted text -

It's between the pump and injectors. So when air comes out of the
housings it bubbles up into the chamber, all the injectors draws from
is the bottom of the chamber. So the chamber is pressurized and
collects a head of air because it is the highest point in the fuel
loop, which you open a valve to bleed off until you have no more air
or bubbles. I've been working with diesels just as long, and my boat
is the first time I've seen such a set-up. Works great, I've never
gotton even a bubble of air into the injectors, and have had some
really rough sloppy weather filter changes.

Joe

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:50:08 -0500, Don W
wrote:

I'd like to hear more about your fuel system
setup. It sounds interesting.

It's very straight forward.

I have no day tank.

Each engine has the usual engine mounted filters.

Ahead of each engine is an array of 2 Racors (total of 4), each with a
ball valve on the intake and outlet. This allows either filter to be
selected or isolated, or both filters could be in paralell.

The output side of the Racors has a vacuum guage to monitor the
condition of the filter. In the event of a higher than normal vacuum
reading I open the valves for the backup filter, and close off the
valves for the old filter. The old filter is now isolated and can be
changed on the fly.

In between the Racor's and the engine mounted filter is an electric
fuel pump which is normally valved off and unpowered. If I need to
prime the engine mounted filters, the electric pump is valved in and
turned on. This forces fuel into the engine filters and though the
injection loop to the fuel return. This could theoretically be used
for polishing but I don't because I have a separate polishing loop
with its own pump that just draws fuel through the Racors and sends it
back to the tank.