Default VHF installation questions

I just bought a Quest GX 1255S, not because I plan to start yacking at
vessels that don't give way (see other threads) but so I'll have
something with more range than the handheld when I cruise downeast in
a couple weeks.

The instructions say to have the standing wave etc. checked out by a
radio technician after installation. Is this just CYA by the
manufacturer or is it a must do? I suspect it will cost nearly as
much as the radio the way these things go and I've got a couple weeks
to try and raise some distant boats to check the range.

The coax running through my cabin and up the mast is pretty old but
the antenna and loading coil(?) at the top are brand new.

Would somebody please refresh my memory on the proper procedure for a
radio check? I think I remember most of the other stuff.

Is there a good on-line site describing marine radio procedures?

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

Just don't do it on 16. Here on the west coast the Coast Guard will do
one for you on 22a.

Gary

"Gary" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
[...]

A radio check on 22a? First of all, calling the CG for a radio check won't
tell you much, since they can receive very poor signals. Second, 22a is
reserved for when the CG needs more information from a boater when it's not
an emergency. Typically, any other channel besides 16 is allowed. I believe
they prefer 9.

This Quest GX 1255S is a very decent VHF with selective digital calling.

Once your radio is installed you should call your local coast guard on the
proper channel for voice testing. In my area we use 12 and 14 other area use
22A. To get the best out of this radio you should replace your coaxial cable
and connectors. I prefer the RG8 cable and the solder type connectors. If
you have never installed connectors with soldering get someone that knows
how to do it because it is no fun to go up and down the mast to re - do a
connections. As for testing the Digital Selective Calling you have to
connect your VHF to your GPS. Then you have to register your VHF with the
Coast Guard. They in turn will enter the information of your boat and VHF in
their data banks. After you can test your VHF with them. When they receive
your call a little window will appear on their digital radar showing your
position, name of your boat and any safety equipment you may have listed.

As a safety precaution you should check for any Electro Magnetic
Interference with transmitting. You compass course should read correctly and
your autopilot should steer accordingly. The older produced autopilots were
not as well shielded as the new one and sometime when transmitting the
autopilot compass behaved erratically.

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

A couple of suggestions, Roger.

First, if you want to check your swr,
you can do it yourself quite simply with
an swr meter (WM sell them, as do Radio
Shack). Just make sure it is intended
for VHF use. These meters can also be
used to measure power. If you're not
putting power into the coax/antenna, the
meter will tell you. But if the coax is
lossy, the meter will probably think all
is grand and report normal power output
so beware of false positives.

Normally, swr is not a problem, but if
your coax is old, it may be lossy or
pinched, or punctured.

You can simply compare your hand-held to
the Quest on a somewhat distant station.
Make sure the squelch is turned down so
you hear the hiss. Your Quest ought to
produce a much louder signal.

Having done a listening test, you can
then move to an on-the-air transmitter
test as described by the other posters.
You can even compare your hand-held to
the Quest on transmit if you can find a
willing partner.

If either the listening test or the
transmitting test is unsatisfactory,
then there's a chance the coax is
causing problems and you may need to
replace it. It can be tested in place
with a time domain reflectometry scope,
but your tech is not likely to have one
handy.

Good luck.

Chuck

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:26:30 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

an SWR meter is not that expensive. Once you have it, you could quickly recoup
the entire purchase price by performing SWR checks for others at $5-$10 a pop.

$39.95

http://www.walcottcb.com/valor-v6050...ter-p-920.html

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

Like I said, here the Coast Guard tell you to call on 22a. It may be
different where you are. The advantage of a Coast Guard radio check is
the can check your signal on a variety of repeaters and tell you how far
you are going. They can even DF you! Receiving poor signals may be
neccessary if your radio isn't working properly, and they'll tell you
that too.

"Gary" wrote in message

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

Here? I sail in the SF area. They don't like being hailed for radio checks,
and you can't hail on 22a.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:14:14 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Here? I sail in the SF area. They don't like being hailed for radio checks,
and you can't hail on 22a.

A popular radio check strategy around here is to call SeaTow on
channel 16, switch to a working channel, and ask for a signal report.

They seem to be OK with it, and it is a legit use of 16.

Where's the poop questions? Sandy K. General 49 May 24th 05 09:46 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
SSB Installation Jerry Peters Cruising 2 February 9th 05 04:01 PM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM