Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Racor filter installation

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:50:08 -0500, Don W
wrote:

I'd like to hear more about your fuel system
setup. It sounds interesting.

It's very straight forward.

I have no day tank.

Each engine has the usual engine mounted filters.

Ahead of each engine is an array of 2 Racors (total of 4), each with a
ball valve on the intake and outlet. This allows either filter to be
selected or isolated, or both filters could be in paralell.

The output side of the Racors has a vacuum guage to monitor the
condition of the filter. In the event of a higher than normal vacuum
reading I open the valves for the backup filter, and close off the
valves for the old filter. The old filter is now isolated and can be
changed on the fly.

In between the Racor's and the engine mounted filter is an electric
fuel pump which is normally valved off and unpowered. If I need to
prime the engine mounted filters, the electric pump is valved in and
turned on. This forces fuel into the engine filters and though the
injection loop to the fuel return. This could theoretically be used
for polishing but I don't because I have a separate polishing loop
with its own pump that just draws fuel through the Racors and sends it
back to the tank.