Don W Don W is offline

Default Racor filter installation

wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

On 28 Mar 2007 10:43:38 -0700, wrote:

Mount them above and chances are you will become a Detroit fuel rack
expert in no time;0)

Solved that problem.

After an "interesting filter change incident" I had my diesel guy
install electric priming pumps on each engine. They can be valved in
and turned on in about 5 seconds. Total cost was less than $300 for
two engines. The reliability improvement is priceless.

If the fuel tanks are mounted below engine level which is typical on
many sportfish and motor yachts, it is just about impossible to mount
the Racors below tank level. Even if you can there is still an issue
with changing the engine mounted filters. Priming pumps, that's the
way to go.

Actually there is a better way to do it. On my main I have a quart
size bleed tank mounted at the highest spot in the fuel loop. All you
do is start the main, let all the air collect in the chamber and vent
all air off the top through a clear hose into a tank for filling the
housings. You can see it in the picture on top the engine with the
loop of clear hose, sorry you can not see the valve.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/242...63212926AEgQPt

Joe

Joe,

I've been running and working on diesels for about
35 years now, but I'm having a little trouble
understanding how your fuel setup works. From
what you wrote, I think that you have a small tank
mounted on the fuel return loop above the engine.
How does that help you if you have air in the
injector pump? Obviously, I'm missing something.

Don W.