Don W Don W is offline

Default Racor filter installation

Wayne.B wrote:

On 28 Mar 2007 10:43:38 -0700, wrote:

Mount them above and chances are you will become a Detroit fuel rack
expert in no time;0)

Solved that problem.

After an "interesting filter change incident" I had my diesel guy
install electric priming pumps on each engine. They can be valved in
and turned on in about 5 seconds. Total cost was less than $300 for
two engines. The reliability improvement is priceless.

If the fuel tanks are mounted below engine level which is typical on
many sportfish and motor yachts, it is just about impossible to mount
the Racors below tank level. Even if you can there is still an issue
with changing the engine mounted filters. Priming pumps, that's the
way to go.

Hi Wayne,

I only have a single engine (Yanmar) and I'm
considering installing an electric boost pump with
twin y'ed filters, and a day tank. I haven't got
it completely thought through yet, but I think I
should be able to set up the system to

1) Auto fill the day tank with filtered fuel from
the main.

2) Polish the fuel in the main by running it
through the filters and back into the main

3) Polish the fuel in the day tank by running it
through the filters and back into the day tank
(don't know why I'd want to do this...)

4) Prime the engine by pressurizing the fuel line
into the injector pump. (I'd still have to crack
a bleed valve up by at least one injector).

5) Allow a filter change while the engine is running.

6) Brew coffee and tea, and make donuts, etc. ;-)

I'd like to hear more about your fuel system
setup. It sounds interesting.

Don W.