K2 K2 is offline

Default Vented loop/macerator installation

Peggie Hall,
I asume that you will see this message. I am a little worried about
trying to clarify your response after viewing the responses tacked
onto my initial post.
If you would please review my configuration from my initial post. This
boat (since 1980) has always been configured: head to vented loop to y
valve directional to either holding tank or thru hull. The vented loop
is well above the water line, I have never had to close the thru hull
when sailing (with the y valve directed toilet/thru hull). I
understand that the vented loop is not necessary between the head and
holding tank, but it certainly does no damage, and the plumbing is
already in place.. To do what you recommend requires quite a lot of re-
routing and a heck of a lot of labor. Why would I lower the vented
loop down by the thru hull, necessitating the requirement to sail with
the thru hull closed? I simply believe that injecting the macerator
discharge into a "T" between the head and vented loop (with a ball
valve between the "T" and toilet to prevent backflow into the head
when operating the macerator) would be a much easier endeavor than
anything else.

"K2" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Peggy is temporally out of commission. She's suffering from the
heartbreak of psoriasis. But, she asked me to answer your inquiries.

First off she said she gave you the wrong advice or you misunderstood
what she told you. NEVER put the vented loop below the water line. That
defeats the purpose entirely. Instead of air going in to break the
siphon water would come out of the bowl to flood the boat.

The vented loop is there only to break the siphon for the intake water
for the head. Nothing else. It should have nothing to do with the
discharge loop or valves.

The macerator discharge should be directed into the holding tank via the
Y- valve or out the thru hull via the same Y valve. Always keep the Y
valve locked to the holding tank position in no discharge zones. A ball
valve on the pumpout might be a good idea provided it is placed close to
the holding tank. It serves to limit odors in the plumbing from tank to
pumpout fitting. A good way to flush out your holding tank is while it
is being pumped out open the Y valve to the thru hull and this will draw
raw water through the system. If you pay for a pump out let it pump for
several minutes after you think the holding tank contents are outta
there. A good flush makes the whole system sweeter. So what if it taxes
the pump out station. The more breakdowns pump out stations have the
better because then we can claim we have no choice but to poop in a
bucket and empty it directly overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

K2 K2 is offline

On Mar 21, 9:37 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"K2" wrote in message

[...]

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your response, but the vented loop is not for "intake".
Intake is supplied via 1" hose from a sea chest. As stated, output is
from toilet to vented loop to Y valve directing to either holding tank
or thru hull. I am trying to add a macerator pump from the holding
tank overboard. My question concerned where & how to dicect the
macerator pump 1" discharge.

"K2" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
On Mar 21, 9:37 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"K2" wrote in message

oups.com...
Peggy is temporally out of commission. She's suffering from the
heartbreak of psoriasis. But, she asked me to answer your inquiries.

I think this group would like to get a confirmation and an answer
directly from Peggie ...
This smells like trolling ...
I cannot imagine Peggie would ask WH for any help whatsoever ...

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote in message
. ..

"K2" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
On Mar 21, 9:37 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"K2" wrote in message

oups.com...
Peggy is temporally out of commission. She's suffering from the
heartbreak of psoriasis. But, she asked me to answer your inquiries.

I think this group would like to get a confirmation and an answer directly
from Peggie ...
This smells like trolling ...
I cannot imagine Peggie would ask WH for any help whatsoever ...

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

"K2" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for your response, but the vented loop is not for "intake".
Intake is supplied via 1" hose from a sea chest. As stated, output is
from toilet to vented loop to Y valve directing to either holding tank
or thru hull. I am trying to add a macerator pump from the holding
tank overboard. My question concerned where & how to dicect the
macerator pump 1" discharge.

Why in the world would you wish to macerate as you pumped overboard? The
ocean doesn't care how lumpy the product may be. Maceration doesn't kill
bacteria all it does is grind up the sewage into small pieces.

You should get a West Marine catalog and look at the pictures. They have
a couple illustrations of waste systems. The macerator pump is to be
placed on the head discharge tail piece or close to it. You grind up the
product before it goes overboard or into the holding tank. No vented
loop is required or called for on the discharge side of the head. What
on Earth would be the use of a vented loop on the discharge? In a proper
holding tank installation the product enters at the top of the tank and
the tank is vented so there's your vented loop right there. Putting in
another would be redundant.

Wilbur Hubbard

K2 wrote:
Why would I lower the vented
loop down by the thru hull, necessitating the requirement to sail with
the thru hull closed?

I didn't suggest lowering the vented loop, only moving it to the other
side of the y-valve to allow it to serve the tank discharge line too.

I simply believe that injecting the macerator
discharge into a "T" between the head and vented loop (with a ball
valve between the "T" and toilet to prevent backflow into the head
when operating the macerator) would be a much easier endeavor than
anything else.

That puts the tank discharge awfully close to the toilet bowl...closer
than I'd want to risk the ball valve being left in the wrong position
when the tank is dumped. 'Cuz a macerator moves 12 gals/minute, enough
to make a very big mess very quickly. How hard can it be to simply swap
out the y-valve and vented loop? The lines are already in place. Then
all you have to do is tee the line from the macerator into the line
between 'em. Which would eliminate the need for any ball valve.

But it's your boat...

--
Peggie
----------

Roger, you're getting to be a regular on the History Channel "Deep Sea
Detectives" series! The Titanic last year...last night I saw you
explaining what caused a WWII minesweeper to sink off Pelau (sp?) in the
Pacific.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

In article ,
Flemming Torp fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote:

"K2" skrev i en meddelelse
roups.com...
On Mar 21, 9:37 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"K2" wrote in message

oups.com...
Peggy is temporally out of commission. She's suffering from the
heartbreak of psoriasis. But, she asked me to answer your inquiries.

I think this group would like to get a confirmation and an answer
directly from Peggie ...
This smells like trolling ...
I cannot imagine Peggie would ask WH for any help whatsoever ...

You smelled right. He's a long-time troll called NEal Warren. Bragged
about using a cedar bucket dumped over the side in a marina for years.
--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
t...
K2 wrote:
[...]

This is how I plan to run my hoses:
-toilet to Y-valve
-Y-valve outlets directly to tank and to thru hull via vented loop
-line from second tank pickup to macerator
-macerator discharge into T which is in the line between the Y-valve and
vented loop

When you use the macerator the Y-valve will prevent backflow into the
toilet.

With the Y-valve connecting toilet to thru hull I suppose you might pump
some liquid back into the macerator discharge line but this is a pretty high
resistance path compared to going out a 1 1/2 inch hose and thru hull.

Anti syphon vents Hinewai ASA 1 October 18th 06 01:42 PM
Leaking Anti-Siphon Vented Loop Geoff Schultz Cruising 4 August 16th 06 02:09 PM
Air Head, or not under pressure to perform... Skip Gundlach Cruising 6 May 19th 06 04:57 AM
head mistress question Noeta Cruising 5 April 16th 06 10:27 PM
Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect phasmatis Cruising 53 January 28th 06 02:10 AM