Gordon Wedman Gordon Wedman is offline

Default Vented loop/macerator installation

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
t...
K2 wrote:
Why would I lower the vented
loop down by the thru hull, necessitating the requirement to sail with
the thru hull closed?

I didn't suggest lowering the vented loop, only moving it to the other
side of the y-valve to allow it to serve the tank discharge line too.

I simply believe that injecting the macerator
discharge into a "T" between the head and vented loop (with a ball
valve between the "T" and toilet to prevent backflow into the head
when operating the macerator) would be a much easier endeavor than
anything else.

That puts the tank discharge awfully close to the toilet bowl...closer
than I'd want to risk the ball valve being left in the wrong position when
the tank is dumped. 'Cuz a macerator moves 12 gals/minute, enough to make
a very big mess very quickly. How hard can it be to simply swap out the
y-valve and vented loop? The lines are already in place. Then all you have
to do is tee the line from the macerator into the line between 'em. Which
would eliminate the need for any ball valve.

But it's your boat...

--
Peggie

This is how I plan to run my hoses:
-toilet to Y-valve
-Y-valve outlets directly to tank and to thru hull via vented loop
-line from second tank pickup to macerator
-macerator discharge into T which is in the line between the Y-valve and
vented loop

When you use the macerator the Y-valve will prevent backflow into the
toilet.

With the Y-valve connecting toilet to thru hull I suppose you might pump
some liquid back into the macerator discharge line but this is a pretty high
resistance path compared to going out a 1 1/2 inch hose and thru hull.