Default Vented loop/macerator installation

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:48:39 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:

This is how I plan to run my hoses:
-toilet to Y-valve
-Y-valve outlets directly to tank and to thru hull via vented loop
-line from second tank pickup to macerator
-macerator discharge into T which is in the line between the Y-valve and
vented loop

When you use the macerator the Y-valve will prevent backflow into the
toilet.

My old boat was like that and it worked fine. The macerator pump was
used to empty the holding tank when off shore.

K2 K2 is offline

On Mar 22, 6:48 pm, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message

t...

K2 wrote:
Why would I lower the vented
loop down by the thru hull, necessitating the requirement to sail with
the thru hull closed?

I didn't suggest lowering the vented loop, only moving it to the other
side of the y-valve to allow it to serve the tank discharge line too.

I simply believe that injecting the macerator
discharge into a "T" between the head and vented loop (with a ball
valve between the "T" and toilet to prevent backflow into the head
when operating the macerator) would be a much easier endeavor than
anything else.

That puts the tank discharge awfully close to the toilet bowl...closer
than I'd want to risk the ball valve being left in the wrong position when
the tank is dumped. 'Cuz a macerator moves 12 gals/minute, enough to make
a very big mess very quickly. How hard can it be to simply swap out the
y-valve and vented loop? The lines are already in place. Then all you have
to do is tee the line from the macerator into the line between 'em. Which
would eliminate the need for any ball valve.

But it's your boat...

--
Peggie

This is how I plan to run my hoses:
-toilet to Y-valve
-Y-valve outlets directly to tank and to thru hull via vented loop
-line from second tank pickup to macerator
-macerator discharge into T which is in the line between the Y-valve and
vented loop

When you use the macerator the Y-valve will prevent backflow into the
toilet.

With the Y-valve connecting toilet to thru hull I suppose you might pump
some liquid back into the macerator discharge line but this is a pretty high
resistance path compared to going out a 1 1/2 inch hose and thru hull.- Hide quoted text -

Gordon,
I believe you have a proper approach. In my case, I have a vented loop
at deck level, and obviously the thru hull is down in the bilge.
Swapping the two makes no sense for me. I plan to use the macerator
pump to empty the holding tank as well. Someone needs to re-read the
West Marine catalog to try to understand what we are talking about!

K2 K2 is offline

On Mar 22, 10:40 am, Peggie Hall wrote:
K2 wrote:
[...]

----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?fno=0&sku=90&ca...

The vented loop is behind the toilet, up at deck level. The y valve is
in the bilge 10" away from the thru hull. I simply do not understand
how you propose to "simply swap" a 3 connection y valve with a 2
connection vented loop (leaving existing hoses in place). I envisioned
dumping the holding tank using the macerator out at sea as a manual/
closely monitored operation - opening and closing valves for the
couple of minutes that it would take a 12GPM pump to empty a 35 gallon
tank. I guess you are correct concerning "blowing a connection"!
Yes, it's my boat, but I was simply asking for input.
Thanks for your time.

K2 wrote:
I believe you have a proper approach. In my case, I have a vented loop
at deck level, and obviously the thru hull is down in the bilge.
Swapping the two makes no sense for me.

Who said anything about swapping a vented loop with a thru-hull???

What is so difficult about rearranging a couple of hoses so that the
hose the hose from the toilet goes to the y-valve instead of to the
vented loop and the hose leading up to the vented loop comes out of one
side of the y-valve instead of directly from the toilet?

I plan to use the macerator
pump to empty the holding tank as well.

"As well?"" What else do you plan to use it for?

Someone needs to re-read the
West Marine catalog to try to understand what we are talking about!

Their drawings:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tionsystem.htm

don't include ANY vented loops, so they're not much help in determining
whether it belongs before or after a y-valve.

--
Peggie
----------
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

K2 wrote:
The vented loop is behind the toilet, up at deck level. The y valve is
in the bilge 10" away from the thru hull.

Ok...NOW I get it. The y-valve isn't in the head where it belongs (and
where I thought it was).

Suggesting that you put it there is prob'ly a waste of time, but it
would sure solve a lot of problems....and also make it much easier to
switch between overboard and tank.

There is a Plan B that would eliminate the need for a loop or a valve
between the macerator and the thru-hull: put the macerator above the top
of the tank...or at least far enough above the waterline to keep sea
water out of the tank. It wouldn't be a vented loop, but it would
effectively create a loop that would do everything but break a siphon,
which would be unlikely. Macerators can be oriented in any direction,
even upside down, so you'd only need a surface on which to bolt it in place.

--
Peggie
----------

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tadvisor/10001...

don't include ANY vented loops, so they're not much help in determining
whether it belongs before or after a y-valve.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?fno=0&sku=90&ca...

Peggie,
My comments were directed ti Gordon/ "As well refers to the two of us
with the same application. Please re-read my comment. Where did you
get the idea that I was spealing of replacing a thru hull with a
vented loop? My y valve is located 10" away from the thru hull in the
bilge. Here we go again.

K2 K2 is offline

K2 wrote:
[...]

bilge. Here we go again.- Hide quoted text -

My comments about the West catalog were not directed to you.(sorry for
my grammar above. It's early. "spealing" should be "speaking".
I now see your "now I get it" response. Your plan B senario makes
sense if I can get the height on the macerator pump.Gotta look at
that.

Anti syphon vents Hinewai ASA 1 October 18th 06 01:42 PM
Leaking Anti-Siphon Vented Loop Geoff Schultz Cruising 4 August 16th 06 02:09 PM
Air Head, or not under pressure to perform... Skip Gundlach Cruising 6 May 19th 06 04:57 AM
head mistress question Noeta Cruising 5 April 16th 06 10:27 PM
Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect phasmatis Cruising 53 January 28th 06 02:10 AM