Default Packless shaft seal v. stuffing box

Greetings;

Several years ago we replaced the stuffing box on our Victory Tug with a
packless shaft seal. Since then I've heard of one boat sinking and another
close to it when the stainless rotor loosened, slid forward, and allowed
water to enter the boat. Just today I discovered FAR more salt water in the
bilge than should have been there, and found a lot of splashes around the
packless seal. Evidently it's leaking.

I'm tempted to remove the packless shaft seal and reinstall the stuffing
box, but to use as packing the new hot stuff from the makers of GoreTex.
It is supposed to be so heat resistant you can crank down on the packing
gland until NO water seeps through. You get a dripless seal without all the
fancy mechanical stuff of the packless shaft seal system.

Anybody have comments on this issue?

Thanks,

Dick B.
LNVT "Annie"

R.W. Behan wrote:
[...]

The goretex packing is good stuff! Nuff said!

R.W. Behan wrote:
[...]

Dick,

I use it on my Catalina 30 and love the stuff! I adjusted the packing
gland so it just stops the dripping while at rest (no tighter) and it's
been good ever since. This was in December of 2004. (In my case that was
about 200 hours ago.) The way I adjusted it, it would weep very slightly
(i.e., was visibly moist) when the engine was in gear but would not drip
with the engine stopped. As I said, I've not found it necessary to
readjust so far.

Alan Gomes
Member

On Feb 26, 1:32 am, Alan Gomes wrote:
R.W. Behan wrote:
[...]

Alan Gomes- Hide quoted text -

Use GFO and there is no need for any drips.

The goretex packing is good stuff! Nuff said!

What brand name is the Goretex packing sold under? Is it available at
West Marine or another such chandlery?

Fairly simple insurance is to put a hose clamp in front of the roter so it
can't slip forward.
I did that on my Nic 35 when I installed the PSS as the set screws looked a
bit "iffy" to me.
Been very happy with the unit

Dennis
"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It's great stuff! I installed in five years ago in my stuffing box,
and after the initial tightening, have only had to adjust it a couple
of times, each maybe 1/16 of a turn or so. Info. at:
http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/s...ing_fiber.html
Buy it at: http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products...g/packing.html

In article ,
"R.W. Behan" wrote:

I'm tempted to remove the packless shaft seal and reinstall the
stuffing box, but to use as packing the new hot stuff from the
makers of GoreTex. It is supposed to be so heat resistant you can
crank down on the packing gland until NO water seeps through. You
get a dripless seal without all the fancy mechanical stuff of the
packless shaft seal system.

It works, though I prefer to let it drip slightly while turning, dry
when it isn't. 1400 hours at about 100 hours a year and about the only
time I adjust it is after I've pulled the shaft for some reason.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
[...]

I think you can adjust your packless seal by loosening the set screws and
sliding the ring a little bit further aft. This puts more pressure on the
two mating surfaces.
I believe there are two hex head set screws in the ring by the way. The
lowest one locks the ring on the shaft while the upper one prevents the
lower one from loosening. Not much chance of the ring moving. I think the
only hazard with these units is fire in the engine compartment. This can
burn up the rubber bellows and then you have a lot of water coming in.
Stopping it would be a bit difficult but not impossible.