Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing

Default Propeller shaft stuffing box

Hello:
I have a 34' Columbia, 1974 with a Volvo/Penta MD-11C Diesel Engine.
The problem that I need some advice on is that my stuffing box is
leaking like a sive. The propeller shaft is 1 inch and I have backed of
the locknut and seen that there is absolutely nothing inside the
stuffing box/nut. So how do I know what size Teflon square cord to
buy. It could be 1/8th or 3/16th or 1/4 inch. Sombody told me to take a
tape measure and place it against the shaft and measure the distance to
the threads of the nut, but this is very inaccurate, it wiggles. Any
advice???

Thanks
Tyler Nelson