Default Pocket mail analog bag phone

Verizon has informed me that it will stop all Analog service. I have
been using a pocketmail device which only works with an analog phone
and a bag phone. Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:04:42 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

That would be my advice. There are many, better and more convenient
ways to get EMAIL onboard these days.

With a relatively modest investment in equipment you can get WiFi
service almost everwhere, often free. With WiFi you can browse the
web, use free GMAIL or Hotmail, get up to date weather info and much
more. With a good WiFi connection you can also make and receive
inexpensive phone calls using Vonage or Skype, even in the Bahamas.
There is very good WiFi coverage in much of the Bahamas.

Here's the equipment I've been using with excellent results:

http://search.ebay.com/senao-362-ext_W0QQfromZR40

If you really want to boost your range, get a high gain antenna like
this one and some LMR-400 coax:

http://wlanparts.com/product/OD24-9

http://wlanparts.com/product/LMR400CUSTOM

http://wlanparts.com/product/RPSMANM24

With the antenna about 25 feet above the water, I was connected to a
marina over 3 miles away last weekend.

Another good alternative for coastal cruising in the US is to get an
Aircard from either Sprint or Verizon.

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/bba/pcCard.htm

Another choice, good for anywhere inshore or offshore, is to get a
Winlink or Sailmail account. That requires a SSB radio, Pactor modem
and a certain amount of technical expertise.

http://www.docksideradio.com/

On our boat we've been relying mostly on WiFi and Winlink/SSB.

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

Verizon has informed me that it will stop all Analog service. I have
been using a pocketmail device which only works with an analog phone
and a bag phone. Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

Pocketmail works just FINE with Digital Cellphones. We have folks,
out here in bush alaska, that use Pocketmail, all the time, and
we have already transitioned many over to Digital Cellphones.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Verizon has informed me that it will stop all Analog service. I have
been using a pocketmail device which only works with an analog phone
and a bag phone. Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

http://support.vzw.com/phones/index.html?p=1961

Your regular emails to your laptop can be sent over Verizon's system to the
phone by syncing emails via Verizon, instead of the sync cable direct. You
can get emails anywhere with it.

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Verizon has informed me that it will stop all Analog service. I have
been using a pocketmail device which only works with an analog phone
and a bag phone. Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

That's true.....in 2008. You still have time.

Trouble with the modem of pocketmail is it probably won't like the
distortion of a cellphone audio digital encode/decode and the delay it
causes the AMPS (analog) system didn't introduce because AMPS is just FM
radio.

I suspect its time to invest in a new digital cellphone that has internet
service on it so you can get regular email. The Treo 650 (Verizon has it)
is a good choice. It uses the Palm operating system and interface, which
doesn't crash like Micro$oft's Windoze Mobiles.

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

It is a sales scam.
While it is true that EVENTUALLY analogue service will die, it
is not dead yet! [Some URBAN analague service is already gone
but not rural...]
Just keep using your setup. You will notice that it will not stop
working.

By the way, do not talk to them, at all!!! If they think that you are
an 'automated bill paying machine, incapable of responding to notices'
then they will continue to take your check untill you are the last
analogue
customer in America. if how ever, they get wind that you are a flesh
and blood human, they will switch you to digital or cancel you just
for spite.

I know these people... not good people...