Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Pocket mail analog bag phone

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:04:42 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Does anyone know of any work-arounds for this or
should just drop the pocketmail account?

That would be my advice. There are many, better and more convenient
ways to get EMAIL onboard these days.

With a relatively modest investment in equipment you can get WiFi
service almost everwhere, often free. With WiFi you can browse the
web, use free GMAIL or Hotmail, get up to date weather info and much
more. With a good WiFi connection you can also make and receive
inexpensive phone calls using Vonage or Skype, even in the Bahamas.
There is very good WiFi coverage in much of the Bahamas.

Here's the equipment I've been using with excellent results:

http://search.ebay.com/senao-362-ext_W0QQfromZR40

If you really want to boost your range, get a high gain antenna like
this one and some LMR-400 coax:

http://wlanparts.com/product/OD24-9

http://wlanparts.com/product/LMR400CUSTOM

http://wlanparts.com/product/RPSMANM24

With the antenna about 25 feet above the water, I was connected to a
marina over 3 miles away last weekend.

Another good alternative for coastal cruising in the US is to get an
Aircard from either Sprint or Verizon.

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/bba/pcCard.htm

Another choice, good for anywhere inshore or offshore, is to get a
Winlink or Sailmail account. That requires a SSB radio, Pactor modem
and a certain amount of technical expertise.

http://www.docksideradio.com/

On our boat we've been relying mostly on WiFi and Winlink/SSB.