Default HEAD, for boat with no HEAD. Wag Bag question ..

Any of you ever use a Wag Bag? How do they work out? Where is the cheapest
place to purchase? What about the Pooh-Powder?

This sounds like a good plan for boats without heads who want to do the
responsible thing.

============

....................................We have no installed head due to our
dislike
of holding tanks, so we have made an enclosure with seat and lid for
a bucket and have come up with solutions that we feel work well.
Offshore, we use the bucket-and-chuck- it system. Near shore or in
enclosed anchorages, we use Wag Bags in the bucket. These fully
biodegradable bags-familiar to dog and cat owners-contain special
powder (called Pooh-Powder) that turns urine into a gel and
deodorizes the waste. The special enzymes in the gel also kill
bacteria and promote the breakdown of waste and bags. After using the
bag (one bag can be used five or six times), we simply seal it into
the separate biodegradable pouch supplied with each kit. Then it can
be deposited in the trash for disposal at landfills. ................ the
waste
product is allowed to break down in compost heaps; within four
months, the compost can be used safely for gardening. They also are
used for emergency waste management, such as during the aftermath of
Hurricane Katrina, when more than a million of the bags were used in
the area around New Orleans. ....................................

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:59EAh.5466$2%1.1289
@trndny02:

These fully
biodegradable bags-familiar to dog and cat owners-contain special
powder (called Pooh-Powder) that turns urine into a gel and
deodorizes the waste. The special enzymes in the gel also kill
bacteria and promote the breakdown of waste and bags. After using the
bag (one bag can be used five or six times), we simply seal it into
the separate biodegradable pouch supplied with each kit. Then it can
be deposited in the trash for disposal at landfills.

WAY too much information while I'm eating my breakfast!......(c;

So, instead of crapping over the side, which makes the shrimp and crabs
fat and happy campers on-the-spot, we crap in a bag full of chemicals,
turn bio-degradeable human waste into a chemical soup that's preserved
with formaldehyde (or some other soup so it won't rot in a thousand
years) and bury it in a landfill where it will be remembered for
centuries by historians and archeologists who discover it while
excavating for ancient treasures. Have I got that right?

Why do humans think they're so "special" that their **** isn't simply
consumed by the same scavenging sea life that all the other sea**** is
consumed by IF LEFT ALONE AND NOT TURNED INTO A CHEMICAL WASTE DISASTER?!

Humans taking a crap makes a guilt trip that destroys the planet. Whales
taking a crap that weighs in tons, not ounces, doesn't create a guilt
trip that destroys the planet. How stupid....and unnecessary. **** in
the bucket and dump it overboard to feed the planet....NOT IN PLASTIC
BAGS, PLEASE, biodegradeable or otherwise!

And remember......ALWAYS **** TO LEE! "AIM HIGH - AIR FORCE"

See that big freighter headed out to sea? He doesn't have a holding
tank, either! Don't swim in his wake....hee hee.

"Larry" wrote in message
snip..
Humans taking a crap makes a guilt trip that destroys the planet. Whales
taking a crap that weighs in tons, not ounces, doesn't create a guilt
trip that destroys the planet. How stupid....and unnecessary. **** in
the bucket and dump it overboard to feed the planet....NOT IN PLASTIC
BAGS, PLEASE, biodegradeable or otherwise!

snip..

Yeah but.... I doubt there are 6 billion whales out there ****ting into the
ocean.

Larry ,, according the the REI, etc web sites that sell the bags; the bag
will decompose in 5 months. If this is wrong? Tell me.

Truth be told: I **** in a bucket and throw it near the big Hinkley moored
nearby. Hinkley and Stinkley sounds nice together.

But the USCG will fine someone if they come on board and find a head with
direct discharge. So, trying to do the right thing without spending a huge
amount of money ... the whole holding tank idea is so nuts on a small
sailboat. With a large boat, there is room to place the tank, the pump, the
pump out, etc.

I just thought this was a good idea, or at least a plan.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

"Don White" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
snip..
Humans taking a crap makes a guilt trip that destroys the planet. Whales
taking a crap that weighs in tons, not ounces, doesn't create a guilt
trip that destroys the planet. How stupid....and unnecessary. **** in
the bucket and dump it overboard to feed the planet....NOT IN PLASTIC
BAGS, PLEASE, biodegradeable or otherwise!

snip..

Yeah but.... I doubt there are 6 billion whales out there ****ting into
the ocean.

Nor are there six billion people in boats on the sea.

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Larry ,, according the the REI, etc web sites that sell the bags; the bag
will decompose in 5 months. If this is wrong? Tell me.

Truth be told: I **** in a bucket and throw it near the big Hinkley
moored nearby. Hinkley and Stinkley sounds nice together.

But the USCG will fine someone if they come on board and find a head with
direct discharge. So, trying to do the right thing without spending a
huge amount of money ... the whole holding tank idea is so nuts on a
small sailboat. With a large boat, there is room to place the tank, the
pump, the pump out, etc.

I just thought this was a good idea, or at least a plan.

An MSD with pumpout seems to work for a lo of small boats

Don ,, no pumpout for me. Not this season, next season, or next season
after that season. No holding tank, and I don't like making holes in my
deck.

Good try though.

Hey,, you don't own a big stinky Hinkley do ya?

===================================

Don ,, no pumpout for me. Not this season, next season, or next season
after that season. No holding tank, and I don't like making holes in my
deck.

Good try though.

Hey,, you don't own a big stinky Hinkley do ya?

I wish...
I travel light... http://sailquest.com/market/models/spipe.htm

"Don White" wrote in
:

Yeah but.... I doubt there are 6 billion whales out there ****ting
into the ocean.

Where did you see a figure about 6 billion sailors crapping over the side??
I'd think it nearer 20,000, tops, but only on Saturday.

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!

"NE Sailboat" wrote in

Larry ,, according the the REI, etc web sites that sell the bags; the
bag will decompose in 5 months. If this is wrong? Tell me.

That BAG decomposes in 5 months, probably true. But, alas, it doesn't
say what effect the decomposing bag has as it RELEASES the toxic chemical
slurry INSIDE the bag, do they? What chemicals are used in the bag?

Truth be told: I **** in a bucket and throw it near the big Hinkley
moored nearby. Hinkley and Stinkley sounds nice together.

Any sailor that tells you he doesn't pee over the side of the dock, in
the dark, when he hopes noone is looking (at least those not potential
mating partners) is a LIAR!

If you see me, don't look....not my type.

But the USCG will fine someone if they come on board and find a head
with direct discharge. So, trying to do the right thing without
spending a huge amount of money ... the whole holding tank idea is
so nuts on a small sailboat. With a large boat, there is room to
place the tank, the pump, the pump out, etc.

You are ALREADY doing the right thing! The regulations about holding
tanks and Y valves is for MOUNTED systems....permanently mounted heads
plumbed into the boat. The regs do NOT cover a Portapotti that is NOT
mounted into the boat in a permanent manner, a "portable device", whether
that's a rusty old bucket, a covered plastic bucket from Dunkin' Donuts
(works great, $1), or a "pretty" Portapottie/Sanipottie. If you have a
stern-mounted 1-holer hangin out over the ocean, that's not covered,
either....like old sailing ships had...(c;

Well, I WAS headed out for dinner at a Chinese buffet I like, but since
getting back on this thread I may have to wait a while until my stomach
stops churning....

Larry