Default Flying Pig Damage Assessment and update

On Feb 14, 7:51 am, Geoff Schultz wrote:
One issue that hasn't been discussed is that eventually this boat will be
sold again and do you think that the new owner will have faith in the work
which has been done? You might do the greatest job in the world and build
it stronger than it was from the factory, but that doesn't mean that you'll
be able to convice the next buyer of that.

To me this is no different than buying a car that was involved in a major
accident. It will never be the same. Maybe some parts will be better than
new, but there will be things that get missed or re-done wrong.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't put money back into this hull.
That would be throwing good money after bad.

-- Geoff

I agree, collect the insurance, and go find a steel hull.

Joe

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 14, 6:01 pm, wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't put money back into this hull.
That would be throwing good money after bad.

-- Geoff

I agree, collect the insurance, and go find a steel hull.

Joe

As some one described my first marrage......... if its dead, bury it.

And I sure like that steel hull idea. Especially for thoes prone to
beach/surf landings. How about a 45-50' Texas Scow Schooner in steel.
Draws maybe 2-3 feet max and ya get 1/2" steel plate on the bottom.
Bullet proof. Who needs a marina. Just let her sit on the mud. Flat
bottom is great! Put a 6-71 in it. Parts are cheep get em any where in
the world and every body can work on an old jimmy. Sail it or motor
through ANY THING! Damn. I think I want one of thoes......
Square is Beautiful.
Barge Bob

On Feb 14, 9:19 pm, "Bob" wrote:
On Feb 14, 6:01 pm, wrote:

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't put money back into this hull.
That would be throwing good money after bad.

-- Geoff

I agree, collect the insurance, and go find a steel hull.

Joe

As some one described my first marrage......... if its dead, bury it.

And I sure like that steel hull idea. Especially for thoes prone to
beach/surf landings. How about a 45-50' Texas Scow Schooner in steel.
Draws maybe 2-3 feet max and ya get 1/2" steel plate on the bottom.
Bullet proof. Who needs a marina. Just let her sit on the mud. Flat
bottom is great! Put a 6-71 in it. Parts are cheep get em any where in
the world and every body can work on an old jimmy. Sail it or motor
through ANY THING! Damn. I think I want one of thoes......
Square is Beautiful.
Barge Bob

Why have a boxey hull?

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/124...63212926VskyTX

Joe

On Feb 13, 5:04 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:51:44 -0500, (Paul) wrote:
In article , "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

So now the question becomes, can you ever make it strong enough
without that access?

How could you ever know how strong it was?

You'll never reach 100% new as-built strength. But even if you did by some
chance, you'll never be able to KNOW exactly how strong the repair is.
You'll have to take her out in progressivly more stressful conditions and
each time there will be that knot in your gut. Will it take 5' seas? 6'
seas? 7' seas pounding for day after day? Even if it does, you'll not
know if the next wave will be the one. You'll crawl around in the bildge
after each short trip looking for problems that really can't be seen.
This is not what the dream was about.

No, it will never be a Morgan again. Not so that you can trust her just
because there is a long history of Morgans that are built just like her
that have proven themselves countless times. That was why you bought a
Morgan in the first place. The confidence that she'll be able to handle
anything the sea throws at her. That's gone for good now. There will
always be a nagging doubt. You'll live in fear of every new set of
conditions, only trusting her if conditions are just perfect, and they
never are. Over time your love for her will turn to hate just from this
nagging mistrust. You'll find more and more excuses to leave her at the
dock. Afraid each and every time you leave a port.

No, even a horse you dearly love should be put down when the time comes.
Do it swiftly and without regrets.

Good luck,
Paul

Sorry, but that's just plain ignorance talking. The boat could be repaired to be
stronger than original. I rarely "repair" anything on a boat without making it
better than it ever was.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

No doubt BB... with that cracked smiling C&C design defect you have,
you have to fix it better than it ever was.

I bet every C&C owner on earth would agree with you.

Joe