tt tt is offline

Default Trailerable Cruisers

I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.

tt wrote:
I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.

This might give you some ideas as to what is available-
http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/listings.phtml?cid=248

DP

"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man

Probably depends how flexible you are.
People cruise weekends and even longer on very small trailerable sailboats.
I have a Sandpiper 565 that can accomodate a couple (or family with two
small children). If you have a half decent tow vehicle, you can go a step or
two larger. I'd stick with a retractable keel to make launching/recovery
easier at shallow ramps.
My boat: http://sailquest.com/market/models/spipe.htm
a step up.. http://sailquest.com/market/models/sirius.htm

Both boats very affordable and lots available used in central Canada.

In article .com,
"tt" wrote:

Is there a trailerable( I never want to be at the mercy of a marina
again) sailboat that is suited to long distance cruising and extended
periods of living? By the way I am retired and not a rich man.

Depends on what you mean by "suited". And what you mean by
"trailerable", I supposed. Our Tanzer 28 (below) is, IMO, perfectly
suited, and she can be *moved* by trailer --a couple of of our sister
boats are moved twice a year-- but the required tow vehicle would pay
for a few years' marina fees.

When you're looking, I would look for two things: Standing headroom and
a permanent berth suitable to your needs. Not being able to stand up to
put your pants on gets old fast, but that pretty much requires a boat
over 26' or it gets too boxy for proper sailing. Most any boat will have
a sleeping dinette or something, but making it up and putting it down
each day gets old even faster.

If you want to self-launch, you pretty much limit yourself to a
centerboard boat.

Just thought: you might look into the trailerable trawlers like the
Nimble series. Only 8'6" wide and relatively light, but great for
getting out and about for pretty fair distances.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article .com,
"tt" wrote:

[...]

There are always the McGregor Water Ballast boats, which have plenty of room
for their size and are quite trailerable -- though I wouldn't recommend one
to an enemy. I consider their ballast to be inefficient and too high,
creating a negative righting moment upon capsizing. This would probably not
be an issue in protected sailing conditions, though, so it may well be
suitable for purposes of inland, near-shore, and ICW sailing.

Flicka's are trailerable, with a decent-sized tow vehicle (F250 or so I
think would do it), and are proper sea going pocket cruisers. There are also
the Pearson Ariels and Tritons, though I think the Triton is pushing it as a
"trailerable" boat. I have seen them on trailers, though, in Southern
California. Then there are West Wight Potters -- the 19 could suit these
purposes, though I wouldn't want to live on one with another person for more
than a day or two.

Karin

You might look at a folding trimaran - Although not exactly an ideal cruiser
a Corsair F-31 is trailable and easily rigged. I think they also have a
smaller model. Quite seaworthy too and can go into very shallow bays! But
not exactly cheap.

If you want a monohull in the 26-30 ft range (about max for trailering, you
will need a FS SUV or truck for towing. You will need something with drop
keel, keel-centerboard or maybe just shoal draft. They do exist - do a
search on the Yachtworld or Soundings sites.

There of course many power boats that might do the job, but.........

Good Luck

"tt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jan 27, 7:57 am, "tt" wrote:
sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.

Hi: What you are say now is what I wanted when I was 20
somthing:Cheep, portable, and reasonably safe on the water.

The first question ya got to answere is how big a towing rig do you
have? If it is a 20 yo Suburu that will limit what hyou can tow.
ALthogh I trailored my 15' sailing dory from Oregon to the Sea of
Cortez and sailed the sheets off it on the RTs and there.

Now if ya got one of thoes beast with a Cat C18 or a kenworth with a
3408 now that really opens the door to lots of "trailerable" boats!

Bob

On Jan 27, 4:02 pm, "Bob" wrote:
On Jan 27, 7:57 am, "tt" wrote:

sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.Hi: What you are say now is what I wanted when I was 20

somthing:Cheep, portable, and reasonably safe on the water.

The first question ya got to answere is how big a towing rig do you
have? If it is a 20 yo Suburu that will limit what hyou can tow.
ALthogh I trailored my 15' sailing dory from Oregon to the Sea of
Cortez and sailed the sheets off it on the RTs and there.

Now if ya got one of thoes beast with a Cat C18 or a kenworth with a
3408 now that really opens the door to lots of "trailerable" boats!

Bob

Boat Designer Michalak has a boat called a "Cormorant" that is sort of
like a sharpie but has water ballast. She is 32' long and
trailerable. She does NOT have standing head room. You might
consider either building it yourself or paying someone to build it.
My next boatbuilding project will either be a Cormorant or the Bolger
AS29 extended to 33'. However, the AS29 is NOT trailerable but does
have extreme shoal draft and easily lowered mast so she can be kept in
places few other sail boats can be kept.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:40:31 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Just thought: you might look into the trailerable trawlers like the
Nimble series. Only 8'6" wide and relatively light, but great for
getting out and about for pretty fair distances.

I like these better:

http://www.capelookoutyachts.com/new...246-sedan.html

Highly trailerable and very salty little boats.

Northsea 27.
I can't afford one but maybe you can. I saw one on a triple axle
trailer pulled by a 60's International truck (maybe 450ci). They made
it with two couples from VanCan to San Carlos, Mex no problems. It has
an after cabin so there's some privacy of sorts.
I am puzzling this one out too. I bought a 5000 lb boat and after two
years have given up finding a cheap used trailer to modify. I can get
a double axle trailer built for about $3000 and a used tow vehicle of
unknown reliability for about the same price.