Default Trailerable Cruisers

tt wrote:
snip
try looking at one of these i used to own the 24 an loved it
still looking at the 28 as my other option

http://www.rlyachts.net/index28.asp
Shaun

Check these out. The factory's in Stuart, FL. The 32' looks really
sweet. I have a much older version of the 26'

http://www.seawardyachts.com/

Also, for info on lots of trailerable options, check out
www.trailersailor.com

Mike

On Jan 28, 4:04 am, shaun wrote:
tt wrote:snip
try looking at one of these i used to own the 24 an loved it
still looking at the 28 as my other option

http://www.rlyachts.net/index28.asp
Shaun

"tt" wrote in news:1169913476.931121.157230
@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.

Hmm....Buzzard's Roost Marina on the Stono River in Charleston has the best
rates and a friendly atmosphere for retired sailors....with no bridges
other than the one over the middle of the marina which is high and new.

You don't need a trailer...(c;

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

I think a trailerable boat is fine for offshore cruising, but I think you have
to be careful about using one for ocean sailing to the Carribean. You will
really have to
pick your weather when crossing the Gulf Stream. Trailerable boats do not have
the stablility of fixed keel boats and tend to get knocked around a lot in heavy
seas.
I am not saying this from personal experience, since I never owned one, but I
have
done lots of cruising from my former base in the Florida Keys, with cruises to
the
Bahamas and Jamaica. I looked at trailerable boats carefully before selecting
my
22 foot fixed keel Westerly. Don't let the size fool you, as this boat was
built for
the English Channel. It didn't ride out the storms as comfortably as a larger
boat, but
I never had concerns about it's seaworthyness. I think a trailerable boat would
have
fared much worse in the storms I encountered. Just a thought you should
consider
when picking a boat for the cruising grounds you are contemplating. I also
heard that trailerable boats do not sail as close to the wind as fixed keel
boats.

Sherwin D.

tt wrote:

I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By

sherwindu wrote:
I think a trailerable boat is fine for offshore cruising, but I think you have
to be careful about using one for ocean sailing to the Carribean. You will
really have to
pick your weather when crossing the Gulf Stream. Trailerable boats do not have
the stablility of fixed keel boats and tend to get knocked around a lot in heavy
seas.

I have and have put mine through weather that you probley would not even
bother getting out of bed for,
as for pointing that's a load of crap .....i raced a gainst a 32
contessa in light breezes just b4 i sold mine and he gave up and motored
because i was beating him.
Any small boat will get knocked around fixed keel or not.
read about the righting momentum of the RL24 and be suprised
the 24 lacks the head room tho......sigh
the reports on the 28 say she is tender due to beam but firms up quick
at about 15 to 20 deg
, but I
have
done lots of cruising from my former base in the Florida Keys, with cruises to
the
Bahamas and Jamaica. I looked at trailerable boats carefully before selecting
my
22 foot fixed keel Westerly. Don't let the size fool you, as this boat was
built for
the English Channel. It didn't ride out the storms as comfortably as a larger
boat, but

you just said it right there

I never had concerns about it's seaworthyness. I think a trailerable boat would
have
fared much worse in the storms I encountered. Just a thought you should
consider
when picking a boat for the cruising grounds you are contemplating. I also
heard that trailerable boats do not sail as close to the wind as fixed keel
boats.

Sherwin D.

tt wrote:

don't give up on a trailersailer they can be the best of both for some
people especially if you plan on coastal
Shaun

snip

When you are looking for a trailerable, obviously you will be looking at
a substantially smaller boat than you have perhaps been used to with
your marina kept boat. If you are willing to compromise in certain
aspects, you should be able to find something you like and that fits
your budget. As a suggestion, go to www.boattraderonline.com and enter
"trailer" into the "keyword" when doing a search; lots of interesting
boats come up. If you are on a strict budget, I suggest looking at
something well below your price because as we all know, it will cost
more to get it "just the way you want it" and ready to go cruising...
Try looking at outboard powered, retractable keel boats around 26' or
less. At less than $10,000, an older Balboa 26 or Chrysler 26 are not
bad boats and are certainly trailerable with any full size pickup or
van. An O'day 240, Beneteau First 235 or something similar might also
work for you and can be obtained on a budget. Remember though, that
once you get the boat to the water, you have to step the mast and some
boats aren't as easily rigged as others. You may want to look at one of
the MacGregor 26's also. I personally don't care for them, but their
ease in trailering, mast stepping and amount of interior room for their
size cannot be overlooked. What you are describing as your search
criteria is exactly what MacGregor had in mind when he built these and
he sells a ton of them...
Another consideration is racing. If you have any experience and/or
desire, racing is a blast and there are several yacht clubs and sailing
centers that will allow racing boats to be kept as "dry-sailed" boats,
on your trailer and fully rigged; I know several couples that race their
boats and then stay the weekend on them. There are lots of
possibilities open to you... -DK

shaun wrote:

sherwindu wrote:
I think a trailerable boat is fine for offshore cruising, but I think you have
to be careful about using one for ocean sailing to the Carribean. You will
really have to
pick your weather when crossing the Gulf Stream. Trailerable boats do not have
the stablility of fixed keel boats and tend to get knocked around a lot in heavy
seas.

I have and have put mine through weather that you probley would not even
bother getting out of bed for,

You are making some big assumptions there. Have you ever crossed the Gulf Stream
in a Norther, or taken your boat north through the Windward Passage in the dead of

Winter? Unless you have sailed through a hurricane, I don't think you have
experienced
anything worse than I have.

as for pointing that's a load of crap .....i raced a gainst a 32
contessa in light breezes just b4 i sold mine and he gave up and motored
because i was beating him.

That may have been due to your superior boat handling. Most trailerable boats have

shorter keels, hence they have more difficulty holding the boat into the wind which
has
the effect of pushing the hull off the wind.

Any small boat will get knocked around fixed keel or not.

It's a matter of degree. The lightness of the trailerable hull relative to the
balast and the
shallower hull makes things worse.

read about the righting momentum of the RL24 and be suprised
the 24 lacks the head room tho......sigh
the reports on the 28 say she is tender due to beam but firms up quick
at about 15 to 20 deg
, but I
have
done lots of cruising from my former base in the Florida Keys, with cruises to
the
Bahamas and Jamaica. I looked at trailerable boats carefully before selecting
my
22 foot fixed keel Westerly. Don't let the size fool you, as this boat was
built for
the English Channel. It didn't ride out the storms as comfortably as a larger
boat, but

you just said it right there

I'm not disputing a bigger boat rides better, but the fixed keel boat probably
rides
better than the same size trailerable boat.

tt wrote:

don't give up on a trailersailer they can be the best of both for some
people especially if you plan on coastal
Shaun

I'm not down on trailerable boats. Just trying to warn the original poster that if

he plans to take this kind of boat across the Gulf Stream and do ocean sailing,
he better watch his weather. It's not just a question of comfort, but safety.

Sherwin D.

snip

sherwindu wrote:

tt wrote:

don't give up on a trailersailer they can be the best of both for some
people especially if you plan on coastal
Shaun

I'm not down on trailerable boats. Just trying to warn the original poster that if

he plans to take this kind of boat across the Gulf Stream and do ocean sailing,
he better watch his weather. It's not just a question of comfort, but safety.

Sherwin D.

Thank you!
All fair comments
Shaun