sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Trailerable Cruisers

I think a trailerable boat is fine for offshore cruising, but I think you have
to be careful about using one for ocean sailing to the Carribean. You will
really have to
pick your weather when crossing the Gulf Stream. Trailerable boats do not have
the stablility of fixed keel boats and tend to get knocked around a lot in heavy
seas.
I am not saying this from personal experience, since I never owned one, but I
have
done lots of cruising from my former base in the Florida Keys, with cruises to
the
Bahamas and Jamaica. I looked at trailerable boats carefully before selecting
my
22 foot fixed keel Westerly. Don't let the size fool you, as this boat was
built for
the English Channel. It didn't ride out the storms as comfortably as a larger
boat, but
I never had concerns about it's seaworthyness. I think a trailerable boat would
have
fared much worse in the storms I encountered. Just a thought you should
consider
when picking a boat for the cruising grounds you are contemplating. I also
heard that trailerable boats do not sail as close to the wind as fixed keel
boats.

Sherwin D.

tt wrote:

I was forced to give up my live aboard lifestyle when hurricanes and
condominiums destroyed or replaced affordable Marinas. I moved away
from central Florida and live about 1 hour from the coast in South
Carolina. I never imagined how much I would miss the boaters
lifestyle. I don't think I will ever be able to live aboard again but
would like to spend extended periods on the water, mostly Carribien
and Intercoastal cruising. My question , Is there a trailerable( I
never want to be at the mercy of a marina again) sailboat that is
suited to long distance cruising and extended periods of living? By
the way I am retired and not a rich man.