shaun shaun is offline

Default Trailerable Cruisers

sherwindu wrote:
I think a trailerable boat is fine for offshore cruising, but I think you have
to be careful about using one for ocean sailing to the Carribean. You will
really have to
pick your weather when crossing the Gulf Stream. Trailerable boats do not have
the stablility of fixed keel boats and tend to get knocked around a lot in heavy
seas.

I have and have put mine through weather that you probley would not even
bother getting out of bed for,
as for pointing that's a load of crap .....i raced a gainst a 32
contessa in light breezes just b4 i sold mine and he gave up and motored
because i was beating him.
Any small boat will get knocked around fixed keel or not.
read about the righting momentum of the RL24 and be suprised
the 24 lacks the head room tho......sigh
the reports on the 28 say she is tender due to beam but firms up quick
at about 15 to 20 deg
, but I
have
done lots of cruising from my former base in the Florida Keys, with cruises to
the
Bahamas and Jamaica. I looked at trailerable boats carefully before selecting
my
22 foot fixed keel Westerly. Don't let the size fool you, as this boat was
built for
the English Channel. It didn't ride out the storms as comfortably as a larger
boat, but

you just said it right there

I never had concerns about it's seaworthyness. I think a trailerable boat would
have
fared much worse in the storms I encountered. Just a thought you should
consider
when picking a boat for the cruising grounds you are contemplating. I also
heard that trailerable boats do not sail as close to the wind as fixed keel
boats.

Sherwin D.

tt wrote:

don't give up on a trailersailer they can be the best of both for some
people especially if you plan on coastal
Shaun

snip