Default Perkins still made?

I have an Atomic 4 and am very familiar with dead designs and the joys
of extending the working lives of extinct engines.

My next boat will have a diesel. I have heard amazing things about the
Perkins 4-108, etc. but I get the impression they don't make 'em
anymore and it's strictly, like the Atomic 4, rebuilds, aftermarket
and DIY Frankenengines.

Is this the case, and if so, is it worth it to buy a used Perkins for
world cruising within five years? If not, what is the best choice in
the 30-60 HP range for sheer reliability versus sensible design (I
love the A4 Beta Marine/Kubota design, for instance) versus cost of
spares (why I won't likely get a Volvo, because even though they seem
reliable enough, the cost of spares and their worldwide availability
is off-putting in the extreme).

Any thoughts appreciated. Might go Yanmar by default, but I would
prefer Big Iron That's Bulletproof.

Also wouldn't mind a way to hand start on one cylinder, but no curent
engine seems to allow that...

R.
Rick & Linda Bernard

A lot of folks like Yanmar. They probably make a good engine but they run a
little fast to my liking. I (like you) would prefer an engine that develops
its horsepower at or less then 2800 RPM's. This makes for an engine with
more cubic inches, size, and weight but I think they are more dependable.
Boat builders try to maximize space for living not for engines so you may
not be able to get the power you need without going to a turbocharged high
rever.

wrote in message
[...]

Doug Dotson

Check out www.perkins.com. I don't think the 4-108 is made anymore as
such, but they are making similar engines. I have a 4-236 (1985) so I am
also concerned about this. A friend has a boat with 2 4-236 engines that
are only 5 years old.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
[...]

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:19 -0500, "Rick & Linda Bernard"
wrote:

A lot of folks like Yanmar. They probably make a good engine but they run a
little fast to my liking. I (like you) would prefer an engine that develops
its horsepower at or less then 2800 RPM's. This makes for an engine with
more cubic inches, size, and weight but I think they are more dependable.
Boat builders try to maximize space for living not for engines so you may
not be able to get the power you need without going to a turbocharged high
rever.

The kind of boat I imagine I'll get won't have an issue with engine
room space. I am thinking steel ketch, center cockpit. Do *you* like
Yanmar? I get the feeling they are popular because they are popular,
if you know what I mean, not necessarily because they are a great,
reliable diesel engine.

R.

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Will do, thanks. I read a lot of sailing narratives and if it wasn't a
Gray in the '50s, it was a Perkins 4-108 in the '60s, '70s and '80s. A
few Volvos after that, but not the 2002 model, apparently.

R.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:01:34 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Check out www.perkins.com. I don't think the 4-108 is made anymore as
such, but they are making similar engines. I have a 4-236 (1985) so I am
also concerned about this. A friend has a boat with 2 4-236 engines that
are only 5 years old.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Jere Lull

wrote:

A lot of folks like Yanmar. They probably make a good engine but they run a
little fast to my liking. I (like you) would prefer an engine that develops
its horsepower at or less then 2800 RPM's. This makes for an engine with
more cubic inches, size, and weight but I think they are more dependable.
Boat builders try to maximize space for living not for engines so you may
not be able to get the power you need without going to a turbocharged high
rever.

The kind of boat I imagine I'll get won't have an issue with engine
room space. I am thinking steel ketch, center cockpit. Do *you* like
Yanmar? I get the feeling they are popular because they are popular,
if you know what I mean, not necessarily because they are a great,
reliable diesel engine.

R.

We've had a 2GM20F for only 10 years and 1200 hours, but with zero
problems in that time (other than one impeller that failed in a few
hours), I'd not hesitate to get one again.

Modern engines' gearing lets you turn larger, more efficient blades so
you can cruise at lower power settings. Though rated for 3600 and
pitched for 3500, we cruise at 2600 (0.25 gph and 5.5+ knots.) When I
did a 30 hour test at 5+ knots (2200), our consumption dropped to 0.10!
The engine was lots quieter, too.

I'm told the original Volvos were hard pressed to maintain 5.5 knots and
used just about a gallon an hour at that pace. At just under a gallon
per hour, we're turning 3200 and are hard against hull speed. But we're
swinging a 16x10x3 wheel at a max of about 1200 rpm shaft speed instead
of 12x8x2 at nearly engine speed.

Our dockmates have mixed reactions to our engine: We go in and out at
about 1500 rpm. Some remark how quiet we are. The others complain we're
going too fast (3 knots).

Yes, modern fast-turning engines at high power can be noisy and probably
won't last as long, but they're also lighter and smaller so you can have
more reserve power if you need it.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Steven Shelikoff

wrote:

Check out www.perkins.com. I don't think the 4-108 is made anymore as
such, but they are making similar engines. I have a 4-236 (1985) so I am
also concerned about this. A friend has a boat with 2 4-236 engines that
are only 5 years old.

4-108's are still ubiquitous in other applications as well as marine
engines. I wouldn't count on the spare parts supply running out anytime
soon.

Steve
Jim Woodward

Yanmar and Perkins:

We took a Yanmar 4JH2DTE (75hp) around the world, putting about 1,200
hours on it. Ran fine. No problems at all. I would buy another in a
minute if I needed that size, except that we found Mack Boring
difficult on several issues. I think the 4JH2 block has a version at
the upper end of your range....

Perkins. Fintry has a 6-354 for a big DC genset. We're replacing the
gensets with Northern Lights, but keeping the 6-354 for hydraulics,
battery charging, and the fire pump. Nobody in Britain is worried
about Perkins parts for a long time....

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com