Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Perkins still made?

A lot of folks like Yanmar. They probably make a good engine but they run a
little fast to my liking. I (like you) would prefer an engine that develops
its horsepower at or less then 2800 RPM's. This makes for an engine with
more cubic inches, size, and weight but I think they are more dependable.
Boat builders try to maximize space for living not for engines so you may
not be able to get the power you need without going to a turbocharged high
rever.

wrote in message
I have an Atomic 4 and am very familiar with dead designs and the joys
of extending the working lives of extinct engines.

My next boat will have a diesel. I have heard amazing things about the
Perkins 4-108, etc. but I get the impression they don't make 'em
anymore and it's strictly, like the Atomic 4, rebuilds, aftermarket
and DIY Frankenengines.

Is this the case, and if so, is it worth it to buy a used Perkins for
world cruising within five years? If not, what is the best choice in
the 30-60 HP range for sheer reliability versus sensible design (I
love the A4 Beta Marine/Kubota design, for instance) versus cost of
spares (why I won't likely get a Volvo, because even though they seem
reliable enough, the cost of spares and their worldwide availability
is off-putting in the extreme).

Any thoughts appreciated. Might go Yanmar by default, but I would
prefer Big Iron That's Bulletproof.

Also wouldn't mind a way to hand start on one cylinder, but no curent
engine seems to allow that...

R.