Jere Lull

Default Perkins still made?

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:19 -0500, "Rick & Linda Bernard"
wrote:

A lot of folks like Yanmar. They probably make a good engine but they run a
little fast to my liking. I (like you) would prefer an engine that develops
its horsepower at or less then 2800 RPM's. This makes for an engine with
more cubic inches, size, and weight but I think they are more dependable.
Boat builders try to maximize space for living not for engines so you may
not be able to get the power you need without going to a turbocharged high
rever.

The kind of boat I imagine I'll get won't have an issue with engine
room space. I am thinking steel ketch, center cockpit. Do *you* like
Yanmar? I get the feeling they are popular because they are popular,
if you know what I mean, not necessarily because they are a great,
reliable diesel engine.

R.

We've had a 2GM20F for only 10 years and 1200 hours, but with zero
problems in that time (other than one impeller that failed in a few
hours), I'd not hesitate to get one again.

Modern engines' gearing lets you turn larger, more efficient blades so
you can cruise at lower power settings. Though rated for 3600 and
pitched for 3500, we cruise at 2600 (0.25 gph and 5.5+ knots.) When I
did a 30 hour test at 5+ knots (2200), our consumption dropped to 0.10!
The engine was lots quieter, too.

I'm told the original Volvos were hard pressed to maintain 5.5 knots and
used just about a gallon an hour at that pace. At just under a gallon
per hour, we're turning 3200 and are hard against hull speed. But we're
swinging a 16x10x3 wheel at a max of about 1200 rpm shaft speed instead
of 12x8x2 at nearly engine speed.

Our dockmates have mixed reactions to our engine: We go in and out at
about 1500 rpm. Some remark how quiet we are. The others complain we're
going too fast (3 knots).

Yes, modern fast-turning engines at high power can be noisy and probably
won't last as long, but they're also lighter and smaller so you can have
more reserve power if you need it.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: