Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

If you luff up a bit that will take considerable load off of the sheet.
Also what is the basis for you calculations. I would think that 35*86 =
3000 # force. That in my book would be a knock down.

Most marine catalogs suggest power ratios for various size boats and rigs.
You can also get a double handle or one with a knob (1 1/2 handles) for more
power.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Armond Perretta wrote:
Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez, this

winch is
too expensive."

Tell me about it!!

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you can
put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force. With a 500 sq.ft. foretriangle that works out to 86:1.
That is a $5,000 winch!!! A 64 cost about $3500 which is the limit of
my buget but the handle force would be 48 lb.

I'm thinking I may just head up a little, trim and fall off and save

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
Problems replacing main halyard - advice? Vic General 4 August 13th 03 02:57 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM