Dick Locke

Default Dinghy registration in California

I bought a dinghy in Florida, never registered it there and didn't pay
sales tax because I took it out of Florida within an allowed time. I
finally used it for the first time in California.

I was under the impression that state registration (and hence the
deadly 8-ish percent "use tax") could be avoided by labeling the
dinghy "tender to" the mother ship. That vessel is documented.

If I look at the DMV web site, it only allows exclusion for liferafts,
and says anything else has to be registered. Yet, I see lots of
dinghies labeled T/T something...

Anybody been through this experience?
Doug Dotson

I only know about Maryland's situation, but I was told by
numerous folks that labeling my dingy as T/T ... was sufficient
and could avoid normal registration. The Department of
Natural Resources informed me in no uncertain terms that
this was not the case. The nice lady at the DNR said that as
far as she knew the T/T thing was not valid in any state on
the east coast. I don't know it that is true or not.

From a more practical point of view,
having a dingy ashore labeled with the name of your boat is a good
advertisment that your boat at anchor is probably a good
target for theft.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
I bought a dinghy in Florida, never registered it there and didn't pay
sales tax because I took it out of Florida within an allowed time. I
finally used it for the first time in California.

I was under the impression that state registration (and hence the
deadly 8-ish percent "use tax") could be avoided by labeling the
dinghy "tender to" the mother ship. That vessel is documented.

If I look at the DMV web site, it only allows exclusion for liferafts,
and says anything else has to be registered. Yet, I see lots of
dinghies labeled T/T something...

Anybody been through this experience?

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Dick Locke wrote:

I bought a dinghy in Florida, never registered it there and didn't pay
sales tax because I took it out of Florida within an allowed time. I
finally used it for the first time in California.

I was under the impression that state registration (and hence the
deadly 8-ish percent "use tax") could be avoided by labeling the
dinghy "tender to" the mother ship. That vessel is documented.

If I look at the DMV web site, it only allows exclusion for liferafts,
and says anything else has to be registered. Yet, I see lots of
dinghies labeled T/T something...

Anybody been through this experience?

If it is true, the T/T can only be used from the ship to shore and not
for anything else - i.e. you can't use it to go exploring or dive from
it or anything like that. I also infer from something I have read on
the live-aboard list that California only requires registration of the
dinghy if it has a motor.

These are the regs in Western Australia

Vessels that Must be Registered

If your boat has a motor, or is fitted for one, it must be registered with DPI and and is subject to an annual registration fee. Yachts, canoes, surf skis and other craft without motors, are not required to be registered.

Exemptions from Registration

A tender to a larger vessel is exempt provided it fits the following conditions:

It is no more than 3.1 metres long, has a motor no bigger than 3.73kW (5hp); and is used only as a lifeboat and for ship to shore transport.
If your boat is currently registered in another State, you get three months grace after bringing it into Western Australia. After that time, you must register it in this State.

Other than that and a document that I ran across that said insurance
wouldn't pay for the theft of a tender or dinghy marked T/T, I can't
find anything that speaks to no state registration of a dinghy.

I know that in MD the dinghies have to be registered.

I'm not sure if the laws require paying tax on the purchase or not -
our original dinghy came with the boat, and was included in the prace.
grandma Rosalie
Keith

That's correct. Of course, the enforcement folks are really only tax
officers, so it doesn't matter what you do or say, they're going to either
tax you (registration) or fine you (tax). It's all about the $$$.

--

Keith
__
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
[...]

Dick Locke

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:53 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

From a more practical point of view,
having a dingy ashore labeled with the name of your boat is a good
advertisment that your boat at anchor is probably a good
target for theft.

That's what my wife said also.

Some of you recent cruisers, what does a dinghy dock look like in a
Mexican marina with respect to dinghy labeling?

I was going to paint T/T my doc number on it but I might just give up
and pay the tax.

Sigh

Go Fig

In article ,
Dick Locke wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:53 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

From a more practical point of view,
having a dingy ashore labeled with the name of your boat is a good
advertisment that your boat at anchor is probably a good
target for theft.

That's what my wife said also.

Some of you recent cruisers, what does a dinghy dock look like in a
Mexican marina with respect to dinghy labeling?

I was going to paint T/T my doc number on it but I might just give up
and pay the tax.

Sigh

Then just hope they don't add the value of the dinghy to the property
tax on the mother boat.

jay
Mon, Sep 15, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
OMOO

Default Dinghy registration in Mexico

There are no requirements re dingy's in Mex - nobody puts anything on
them - no numbers, names, lights, plates, registrations, - nada, zero
- save your money for fish tacos

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:36:27 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:53 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

From a more practical point of view,
having a dingy ashore labeled with the name of your boat is a good
advertisment that your boat at anchor is probably a good
target for theft.

That's what my wife said also.

Some of you recent cruisers, what does a dinghy dock look like in a
Mexican marina with respect to dinghy labeling?

I was going to paint T/T my doc number on it but I might just give up
and pay the tax.

Sigh

Dan Best

Solano County (California) sent me a seperate property tax bill for my
porta-pote dinghy last year!

Go Fig wrote:

Then just hope they don't add the value of the dinghy to the property
tax on the mother boat.

Go Fig

In article ,
Dan Best wrote:

Solano County (California) sent me a seperate property tax bill for my
porta-pote dinghy last year!

And next year you will get a nice note from the county assessor saying
that property values have risen and so has your liability ;-)

jay

Tom Dacon

If the dinghy is eight feet or under, and not operated with an outboard
engine, you don't need to register it with the DMV. If it's larger, or you
operate it with an outboard engine, you have to register it. It's $10 per
year, and if you register it you need to display standard-sized CF numbers
on the sides of the bow.

Here's a link to the relevant page on the California DMV site:

a.. Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
b.. Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
c.. A ship's lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
d.. Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state
that are principally used outside California.
e.. Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted
only during races and tune-ups).
I found this information myself on the DMV site somewhere,
Tom Dacon